Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Factory Reset Without CD

• Please log in to reply

sparky2447

sparky2447

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Hi there

Recently gone back to using an old xp computer but since it's full of all manner of useless stuff, I wanted to do a factory reset of the machine. I spent a while on various forums attempting to understand how to do this, and it seemed that since I didn't have the OS CD that would have come with the computer, I had to use a recovery partition. I read that when the machine was booting it would come up with a recovery option of some sort, and that I would have to access it using one of several keys (F1,F10 etc). When booting, my machine gives me no such option, it only has Setup and something about BIOS. Anyway, this is just my current predicament and I was looking for help as to how to factory reset my machine. Sorry if I've left any crucial information out, if anything else is needed then just ask. Cheers in advance.  

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

typically the recovery dialog isn't actually listed during boot up. sometimes it's ctrl + f11 sometimes it's under another boot menu that is displayed (like diagnostics or something like that). of course, this assumes that you've got a recovery partition at all. while it's pretty much the norm for computers built within the last few years, it's not necessarily guaranteed that you've got a recover partition (especially if it's an older computer...like 5 years or more older). what make/model computer is it?

sparky2447

sparky2447

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Well i tried ctrl+f11 to no avail and I've searched through the setup menu and as far as I can see it's not there

That may be where my issue lies because i believe this machine is about 7 years old, and in regards to your other question I tried searching "msinfo32" in run, but it has no system model, but it says the type is "x86 based pc". Sorry if that's not what you're looking for.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

does the computer have any labels on it? like "dell" or "hp" or anything like that? being that old there's a chance it didn't have a recovery partition from the factory. if it's a custom build computer and not made by a big manufacturer then it wouldn't have a recovery partition to begin with.

if it's a name brand computer you can probably order the recovery disks still from the manufacturer. if not, or if it's custom built, you may have to buy an OS disk, or borrow an XP disk from someone

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Hi, further to dsenette's advice, so we can see if it does have a recovery partition, if you can please click on "Start" bottom left corner, then "Run" or alternatively press the Windows flag key and the letter R key and type or copy and paste into the box that then opens,

diskmgmt.msc

then click OK. The window that then opens will show you the hard drive and whether or not there is a recovery partition on it. You may have to grab the side and pull it out to the right and pull the bottom down to show everything.

If you can take a screen shot of that window and please post it here if not sure if it does show a recovery partition or not.

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts

Hello Sparky2447

If you are unable to find a way to factory reset your machine, I would suggest that you start a thread in the malware removal area. Please follow the steps in our Malware and Spyware Cleaning Guide, before starting a new topic. Then after they have helped you remove all crapware from your machine, I would run this tool in automated mode. Decrap - Windows PC De-crapifier, remove bloatware with ... This tool will remove every single program on your computer automatically. The next step would be to create a new user How to create and configure user accounts in Windows XP Then log into the new user delete the old account, when asked if you wish to keep files from previous account decline.  Then to check for anything else leftover use  SequoiaView you can also use the Everything Search Engine and Malwarebytes | FileASSASSIN to aid you in removing anything left over. Once done with all of this I would suggest a windows repair with the Windows Repair (All In One)

I only wanted to provide you with another option, this method will take some work on your part but will hopefully help you. :)