Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

MSOffice not responding when saving on mapped drive

• Please log in to reply

Derude

Derude

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Someone please help I’ve been having a issue lately with a mapped drive on our sever, what happens is that people have been reporting that ms word and ms excel have been not responding while accessing it through a mapped network drive connected to a 2008 server. Once they open it over the mapped drive the file continuously hangs and when they create a file locally and try and save it to the mapped drive it freezes with no response the second they try to save as. I’ve looked everywhere over the internet and have tried so much with no luck whatsoever, but I have discovered that the only way of fixing this issue temporarily is to create a shortcut on the desktop to the server’s files.. Besides that all I can do is reformat the PC and not even that permanently fixes it since the PC did the issue all over again.

What to know:
-Word is still not responsive in safe mode
-It only happened to 5 – 10 people on a network of 50 or so
-It only happened on Windows 7 Professional
-Running office 2007 professional and standard
-Also happens on 2003
-Mapped drive is connected to 2008 server
-Anti virus is WebRoot Secure Anywhere
-It happens on Pc’s that have not yet been updated (Windows and Office updates)
-Creating shortcuts to drive on desktop fixes it
-Fresh install fixes it (temporarily)
-All other files work ex: JPEG,PDF…

What I’ve done so far:
-Tried windows 2003 instead of 2007
-Tried not installing Webroot after a fresh install
-Disconected and reconnected mapped drive
-removed all add-ins in word
-Did a repair on word and on windows
-Uninstalled word and re-installed it
-Viewed logs and all it said is application did not respond and had no further details
-Tried different drivers for the network Nic
-Uninstalled Compatibility pack for office
-Uninstalled
-Made sure I tried updates Via internet and not only WSUS
- Prevented word from validating by creating registry keys
-disabled windows indexing on PC

Please feel free to ask me any questions and I will try respond with as much detail as possible, anything will help. This problem has been driving me crazy and I need to find a solution fast.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

is the same AV running on the server(s)?
what's the drive status on the servers as far as free space? (total space, free space, and used space are good things to know as well)

I had something similar happen after upgrading our 2k10 installs to SP2 but you said these aren't upgraded (also, my issue, the app would eventually become responsive again)

you say this doesn't happen on XP?

do you have access to office 2k10 or higher (even as a trial just to test)?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

also, stab in the dark (did a quick google search and the hits do remind me of another issue that I remember)

http://blogs.technet...a-workbook.aspx

check your printer drivers (sounds stupid, but windows is kind of...well...stupid)

Derude

Derude

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Hey Dsenette 

I have not yet tried looking at the printers, but my guess is that isn't the issue since I've seen the problem start happening before I even install printer drivers. A couple of times the problem started happening as soon as I did a fresh install and installed MSOffice.

Yes the same AV is running on the server

Server 
total space: roughly 500 gigs 

free space: 45 gigs 

used space: 414 gigs 

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

not saying this is the issue BUT, that's a bit tight on available space. when you said you tried this on other servers, were those servers similarly full?

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

Hi,

I don't have a solution for you only a suggestion try firing the Sysinternals Process Monitor set the the filtering to the Microsoft Word process and maybe you can see something that explain the hang.

Does the issue happens if the user have Administrator privileges? The client machines are part of a Domain or Workgroup?

Good luck.

Derude

Derude

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

(UPDATE)

So we have a second server that's 

otal space: roughly 350 gigs 

free space: 101 gigs 

used space: 217 gigs 

And after you mentioned about trying it on a different server I figured I would check if the issue happens on that server as well and it does, the exact same thing is happening on that server that's happening on the other all office documents aren't able to open they just hang until theirs no response.

Derude

Derude

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Hey Sleepy dude 

I will definitely try that, the problem does happen when the users have Administrator privileges and the clients are part of a domain. I just find it really odd that only mapped drives are the issue if I go to the the folders manually it works perfectly fine.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

grasping at straws again while I keep searching....what if the computer isn't joined to the domain?