Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Video Capture Device for VHS & DVR

• Please log in to reply

bees04

bees04

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello! Sorry to jump in with a question, but I'm of no help to the community otherwise, ha.

Can someone please recommend a video capture device under $200 and for Windows Vista? A card is not an option because I have an all-in-one computer and don't have a tower.

My wishes: I'd ideally like the option to choose my output file type, and not be restricted to one or two types...and I want the best quality I can get for my money.

I'm mainly going to be converting from VHS to my computer (so SD), but I'd ALSO like the option to capture HD from my DVR if that is an option too. That's where I'm stuck. I have the VHS part down (I've done it before with a Pinnacle Moviebox, but Vista doesn't support it anymore). The outputs on my DVR seem to be limited to composite/RCA cables only, so I can't figure out how to get more than SD from it. It is a newer Comcast Xfinity box if that helps too.

So what are my options? Attached is a picture of the back of my DVR.image.jpg image.jpg

Edited by bees04, 09 January 2015 - 10:26 PM.

Advertisements

bees04

bees04

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Did the picture show up? It isn't showing on my end...I uploaded via my iPhone.

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

never used it myself but have used other hauppauge products with great results and do have a friend in the usa that does use the older version with mythtv on his linux pc to record from his cable box, so this should do the job you require.

http://www.amazon.co...customerReviews

read the reviews and see if it does everything you require. ;)

:popcorn:

product home page. :- http://www.hauppauge...ata_hdpvr2.html

Edited by terry1966, 10 January 2015 - 07:33 AM.

bees04

bees04

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thank you! I went ahead and ordered it. Hopefully it does everything I need it to. Seems like it does.

I'm guessing there's no way to get HD from from DVR - am I correct? I can't see an output for it. Is there a work around?

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

It may well be that the DVR doesn't actually record in HD in the first place!

You might be able to check this if you can obtain information of the file size while it is on the DVR, typical HD file size will be roughly around 200 to 250MB per minute, however if the file size is much lower per minute at around or less than 100MB/m it will hardly be HD.

Nev.

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

to be honest i can't see what connections are on your dvr from the picture (and it won't enlarge when clicked on), maybe if you supplied the make/model number i could do some research and give you a definitive answer, but i'd expect you to be able to get and record hd from both the component outputs and the hdmi output (assuming it has them).

this may come in handy when recording in hd using the hdmi output from your dvr to your hdmi tv and hd pvr2 box. :- http://www.amazon.co..._pr_product_top

Edited by terry1966, 10 January 2015 - 01:47 PM.

bees04

bees04

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for the responses. It does record in HD. I don't know why I didn't think of this (and you can laugh at me), but I'm guessing the HDMI output labeled for the TV is what I would use, and Id view it on my monitor instead of my tv? I'm so used to keeping my vcr and DVR plugged into the TV at the same time of capturing that I assumed this wasn't an option. ha, Oh my.

Thanks again!

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

but I'm guessing the HDMI output labeled for the TV is what I would use, and Id view it on my monitor instead of my tv?

no in fact i believe the hdmi output is actually meant to go to your tv, with the picture being recorded able to be viewed on your pc monitor via the usb cable and pc, of course there is nothing stopping you using it to connect directly to your pc's monitor if it has a hdmi connection.

without actually having owned the device and knowing exactly what it can and can't do tho i don't think i'd use that port at all unless it was to send the picture from the vcr to pvr2 box via component in and then onto the tv via hdmi cable.

as for the dvr if i had hdcp recording issues, i would use the splitter as linked in earlier post instead of using hdmi straight into pvr2 box from dvr.

I'm so used to keeping my vcr and DVR plugged into the TV at the same time of capturing that I assumed this wasn't an option. ha, Oh my.

not exactly sure how you have everything setup, but

Thanks for the responses. It does record in HD.

glad to hear it is working fine for you and does everything you required. :thumbsup:

bees04

bees04

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Yeah, it didn't work. I only have composite ports, not component. I cant anything about the box to give you a name. It is from Comcast Xfinity and it was released this past year for their new system (records multiple shows at once). There is a tiny number on front that says XG1-A??

It works with my bluray player, but I'm really wanting it for my DVR.

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

does your tv have hdmi ports?

if it does,

connect the dvr to the splitter linked in earlier post, then have a hdmi cable from the splitter to the pvr2 box and another hdmi cable from the splitter to the tv, this then should enable you to watch the dvr content on your tv while also using the pvr2 box to record it.

if it doesn't,

then just try connecting the dvr either via the splitter (my first choice) or directly and see if it will work to allow you to record from it.

i would think if you can't record from the dvr it is a hdcp problem and why i recommended using the splitter in the first place.

more about hdcp here :- http://en.wikipedia....tent_Protection

i would think you could record from the composite out of the dvr but that would not be a hd picture.

see if this topic helps with that :- http://www.hauppauge...-PVR2-Composite

How ever if need Composite now you just use Component Blue RCA jack and change in Showbiz to Composite Input now your all set