Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

MacBook Pro Keyboard Problems *Liquid Spill*

mac keyboard spill laptop problems repeat key

• Please log in to reply

ProgramGeeks

ProgramGeeks

• PipPip
  • 42 posts

Hi Everyone!

I bought a MacBook Pro 1,1 (the first intel macbook) off of Ebay just before Christmas. Two days ago, the stand I had my laptop sitting on (with coffe cup) broke and everything came tumbling down. Coffee got onto my laptop and now I have a problem.

1/4 to 1/2 the keys on the internal keyboard do not work, also, the h key is constantly going. So I opened up the laptop and took a look at the motherboard and the keyboard. The motherboard had no coffee on it. The keyboard did. The connector to the motherboard for the keyboard was clean (there was no coffee that I could see). So I disconnect the cable to the keyboard and I am now using an external keyboard.

I would like to know how I can decide if I need to purchase a new keyboard for my laptop. Is my keyboard perfectly fine? Or is it the keyboard that needs to be replaced?

More info:

The macbooks power button, track pad and keyboard all connect to the same connetor, so I disconnected the cable that went from the keyboard to the motherboard cable. The power button and trackpad work just fine. No problems with them.

I hope someone can help me. Thank you.

Advertisements

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Hi.

Considering that there was power on at the time of the spill there is the chance that the liquid coffee shorted out and damaged some of the electronics on the keyboard, making you a lucky guy that it didn't go further and do the same on the rest of the machine.

I would recommend you find a replacement keyboard as even if the coffee didn't short something, it will have coated contacts for the keys leaving them with an insulating layer, hence why many letters aren't working.

If any consolation I damaged an expensive camera with spilled coffee a couple of years ago, now a golden rule of no drinks near expensive stuff.

Nev.

ProgramGeeks

ProgramGeeks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Alright.. so I just want to double check that the problem is infact the keyboard and not something else. The keyboards are like 40 - 80 dollars and I dont want to spend money on a keyboard and still have the same problem. Thank you for the reply.

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Hi, considering an external, I assume USB connected, keyboard works with no problems, I would think that a new keyboard should fix it OK if no signs of the coffee having got to the connections or motherboard.

Nev.

ProgramGeeks

ProgramGeeks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Alright, Thank you so much Nev!