Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP won't start

• Please log in to reply

rikkashay

rikkashay

• Pip
  • 1 posts

I have a Dell Dimension 2400 Home Edition. The on light doesn't show the computer is turned on but I can hear it humming.  I've tried turning it off and on several times and it just won't start up.   I had unplugged it a couple nights ago when the electric went out because it isn't plugged into a surge protector.  This morning when I plugged it back in, it just wouldn't work.  The speakers show they are turned on and the monitor light is amber and the computer is humming, so I know it's getting power.  Where do I go from here?

Edited by rikkashay, 10 January 2015 - 12:23 PM.

Advertisements

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Howszit? and Welcome to GtoG...

Sorry to hear that your Dell doesn't want to start at all.  I've had experience with quite a few Optiplex models and usually the power light glows amber instead of green when the PSU goes bad. According to the Dell website if it is not making any beeping sounds they suggest several steps...  (see issue 2 on this web page ...  http://www.dell.com/...19/SLN127731/en

In rare cases, I've had power cables that have gotten so aligned that I had to spread the male connections a bit to restore a power connection.  Make sure where the hum is coming from, (might be your speakers?)

Cheers and hope this helps...

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

Depending on the speakers, most get their power from 110vac.

The monitor light being amber means it is getting power. It will turn green when receiving its info from the computer.

The hum could be from the speakers.

Make sure the power plug to the case is securely plugged in.

You could have a bad psu (power supply unit) inside the case or a bad board.

The next step is to take the side off the case and look at the board. There should be a green or blue (usually) somewhere on the board that indiactes it has some power.