Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

giving me probs

• Please log in to reply

micobat24

micobat24

• Pip
  • 4 posts
My mates pc had a hdd prob and was put aside for a while, he gave it to me to reload the system together with a new hdd, I've tested the hdd on my system and it works. I've cleaned out the box and installed the hdd so I can load the os, but when I switch on the pc it loads the bios screen then switches off no beep's and it picks up all the hardware, doesn't go into the bios setup either and I did reset the cmos on the board but still the same, help plz

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,025 posts

:welcome:   micobat24,

I've tested the hdd on my system and it works. 

I've cleaned out the box and installed the hdd so I can load the os, 

Which HDD, the old or the new one.

the pc it loads the bios screen then switches off no beep's and it picks up all the hardware, doesn't go into the bios setup either 

Can I ask what makes you say that "it picks up all the hardware" this cannot be determined on a computer that will not boot.

There is a chance that the issue is/was not with the HDD on your friends computer, can I ask what happens if you power up the computer without any HDD connected.

Can you also tell us the brand and model name or number for the MB, CPU, Ram (including the amount) any add on video card that may be fitted and finally the PSU.

NB: It is not a good idea to post your email address on the internet unless you wish to be the target of spammers and/or other undesirables.

Mac29

Mac29

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

I'm also confused. Power on load the bios then switches off, no beeps, then "and picks up all the hrdwr, doesn't go into bios". Does it normally give a single beep or no? How did you reset cmos? By removing the battery and waiting long enough or other?

I'd venture you could try power on w/o parts, even if you don't want to start from scratch but if it was booting before the HD switch I can only guess something between then and now has changed. As a last tip, be sure everything is seated correctly/ try re-seating and that nothing small has fallen inside causing a short - I know, a longshot. Try testing using another PSU as well. In my experience the vast number of issues are: HD, PSU or mobo. Good luck.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,025 posts

micobat24,

It is 5 days since I replied to your OP, do you intend to respond at all!

micobat24

micobat24

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks again for your help, I have tried all the advice you gave me, even changed out the psu but still the same. Going to try to send you a video so you can see yourselfs.

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Considering the BIOS is not handing over to, or looking for, an operating system, it might actually be a RAM problem. How many modules or sticks of RAM are in it, if more than one pull them out, then put just one in and try it, if nothing try the other or others one at a time. If possible, check them in a computer that uses the same type.

Please also answer all questions asked by previous members and staff, it will give us all more to work with.

Nev.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,025 posts

Considering the BIOS is not handing over to, or looking for, an operating system, it might actually be a RAM problem. How many modules or sticks of RAM are in it, if more than one pull them out, then put just one in and try it, if nothing try the other or others one at a time. If possible, check them in a computer that uses the same type.

Please also answer all questions asked by previous members and staff, it will give us all more to work with.

Nev.

:thumbsup:

micobat24

micobat24

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Its a single slot ddr2 400 but that was also not the problem cause I've swopped out the dimms, psu gpu and done everything you guystold me to look at and iI stripped and reassembled the system again, but still no luck, the only thing I've not changed is the battery, I'm completely baffeld never had a system do this before usually it gives beep's or a msg this system gives me nada, thinking of replacing the whole mb, but I don't like to fail and feel like a d##k cause I told my friend I'd get the system running

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Hi, thanks for the update, no doubt Phill may have some further advice, however considering what you have changed or at least tested and found to be OK, it is now looking like either the mother board or the CPU, or maybe even both, it's about all that's left.

The Cmos battery won't be the cause I don't think as at least the BIOS will load, so even if it were a problem it would only be unable to keep the correct time.