Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Getting wifi to another building

• Please log in to reply

aynsley683

aynsley683

• Pip
  • 7 posts
As my title suggests i need to get wifi out to my barn. Now at the house I have high speed internet, my barn is about 350 feet away (nothing in between) which is where I would like to have wifi for two main reasons:-

Have a foaling camera set up.

And be able to listen to pandora radio etc. but mainly the foaling and lambing cam.

As I said the barn is 350 feet away and I have an unused phone line running to the barn if that helps( not sure if one can use that at all) and power up there.
I know repeaters are a none starter so have been looking at wifi directional antennas to bridge the wifi out there. I really don't want to bury cable but can if needed.
Not sure what to get as some stuff is really expensive well over $1000 or seems too cheap and can't really get out to that distance, Amazon stuff basically not sure who or what to trust.
I searched around on here and googled and found way too much information and options to wade through, any help in showing me the right direction to go would be appreciated. I don't mind spending the money but don't want to spend it stupidly or going too cheap and not getting quite what I need.

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,591 posts

you need a wireless router that has external antenna as well as a wireless card that can have an external antenna attached.  For the antenna you need a directional antenna on each end.  Also if there are major obstrucions (fuel tanks, buildings, trees) then that will cause issues. 

Couple of resources: 

tekzilla article that covers this issue

http://www.radiolabs...bridge-kits.php

Radiolabs has complete kits that you can install and go.  mentions in the video above

Ubiquiti also has some great products (bullet and Nano-m series)  http://www.ubnt.com/...s/#all/wireless

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts

sounds like your spoilt for choice,

yes you may be able to use the telephone line for internet connection.

yes you may be able to use the power cable and some powerline adapters for internet connection too.

you can definitely use a wifi setup tho, like this bridge system :- http://www.radiolabs...-bridge-kit.php

personally for best advice i'd suggest contacting the technical support department of a few different suppliers of such equipment in your area and getting their suggestions/advice on which they think is the best way to go. set them a limit of say $400 and see what they come up with.

if your going to lay cable tho like you mentioned as a last resort, then i'd definitely go with a fibre cable connection and not a wired one.

please let us know what solution you finally go with and how well it works out for you.

:popcorn:

Edited by terry1966, 11 January 2015 - 05:54 PM.

aynsley683

aynsley683

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thank you, I shall call the radiolab people first and go from there. A point to point bridge kit looks the easiest and quickest to do as I have nothing in the line of sight between the house and barn (which seems to be a very big plus from what I have seen of other people's issues, trees in the way etc. ).
Anyway will use the I have this much budget to X with , which is another good idea. Will let you know what happens and get back to you. I just got a little overwhelmed with the amount of information and wanted the easiest quickest solution and thank you both for your time.
Aynsley

aynsley683

aynsley683

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Terry I just spoke with a tony at radiolabs who did steer me towards your suggested bridge product. He was very easy to talk with, will see if anyone in my area does the same sort of thing and see what they have compared to Radiolab then order beginning of next month once this months credit card is paid.
Again thank you.
Aynsley

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts

here's another company offering a similar bridge system that i'd linked to for someone else that may be in your area :- http://www.ccrane.co...S050900DX000000

aynsley683

aynsley683

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

how about this one i found, seems to have everything i need for a reasonable price?

http://www.invictusw...rch=nbe-m5-16x2

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts

like most things you pays your money and takes your chances, should work just fine but doesn't seem to include everything like all the cables and such so might not be as good a bargain as it first seems.

personally i'd buy either of the first 2 kits linked, yes they cost more but seem to include everything you'd need except for the 2nd one where you will need to buy the 2 aerials of your choice but both earlier links look like better investments to me than your link.

i'm not keen on all in one products because even tho. they seem to be easier to fit, they aren't really, and if one part fails then you usually need to replace the whole part instead of just the faulty part, at least with the other kits you can change things like the aerials for better range performance if you ever need it in the future which you wouldn't be able to do with an all in one kit.

i'm definitely no expert in this area tho. and that's just my own personal opinion.

Edited by terry1966, 14 January 2015 - 03:49 PM.

aynsley683

aynsley683

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Just ordered the kit from the crane company which should be here in a week or two, so now just need to pick out a camera stuff to use up in the stables then I will be all ready to play my pandora radio and use the foaling cam in April May.
Will keep you posted.

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts

thanks. :thumbsup:

aynsley683

aynsley683

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Ok kit came yesterday and took some time to set up ( mainly due to trying to deceide where to put antennas and where to route the wires so as to be easy and not stick out).
Now I set up a new wireless router at my computer ( to make sure it worked ) and took it up to the stables and connected it to the other end of the wifi bridge, no signal. Rechecked everything connections etc. and still nothing. The ccrane company tech support guys are not there Sunday's so will get this sorted tomorrow hopefully and let you know.

aynsley683

aynsley683

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
The problem was mine after redoing all the connections the whole set up works. Not sure if it was just a bad connection or the fact that I set up the router that went into the stables in the house before putting it out there.
Which ever it all works now, just waiting for the camera system to arrive to set up the foaling cam and we're good to go. Actually just need to check with the bridge kit company that no one can intercept my signal (ie the house slightly behind and beyond the stables which may be in the 20 or 30 degree error factor for the antennas).
So thank you for your pointers etc. mission accomplished.
Aynsley

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts

glad everything is now working to your satisfaction, sounds like the company offers good tech support too which is always a good thing.