Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Stuck in Aptio Setup Utility

• Please log in to reply

dimitri_san

dimitri_san

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Hi I have tried booting up my Asus laptop, and I am stuck in setup utility, and I have no clue how to get out of it. I have looked over some posts on the internet, and none seem to have a answer.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Hello dimitri_san,

Have you tried the following steps that I found via Google;

1/ Select the Boot menu in the Aptio setup utility, select 'Launch CSM' and change to enable
2/ Select the Security menu n the Aptio setup utility, select 'secure Boot Control' and change to disable
3/ Select Save & Exit and press 'yes'
4/ Hold down the power button until the unit switches power off completely
5/ Switch back on and continually press the F9 button for about ten seconds; this should now allow the unit to boot up into the Windows Recovery menu
6/ Select 'Advanced Start Up' and wait until the recovery menu appears
7/ Select ' Advanced Options'
8/ Select 'System Restore' and select a date prior to when the problem occured

dimitri_san

dimitri_san

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

When I turned it off and spammed f9 it took me back to the bios.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Had you made any hardware or software changes previous to this first happening.

Had the computer been dropped or banged previous to this first happening.

Does the hard drive activity LED blink at all when you power up the computer.

Is the HDD detected in the BIOS, depending on the brand of HDD it may be listed as beginning ST for a Seagate drive or WD if a Western Digital device.

Do you have a Windows 8/8.1 or system restore disk.

dimitri_san

dimitri_san

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

I think my dad said he had to change the battery out not to long ago. I dropped the laptop a very long time ago, but it has been more than a year since.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

For us to be able to help you it is important that you answer each question as best that you can;

Is the HDD detected in the BIOS, depending on the brand of HDD it may be listed as beginning ST for a Seagate drive or WD if a Western Digital device.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Not heard from you for a while dimitri_san,

Do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, let us know either way please and not leave the thread hanging.

Jamma

Jamma

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi

I am now having this exact same problem as dimitri_san with my Asus laptop. I have tried all of the suggestions that were previously put on this blog with no luck. I do recall my laptop dropping previous to this happening but has work since then so am not sure if that is an issue or not.

I desperately need help with this Asap as I have some important work to submit by the end of this month. Can someone help me please.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Answer the questions philpower asked.

nesser

nesser

• Pip
  • 1 posts

hi philpower

im having the same problem with my ASUS laptop. if i press f9 it goes directly to "insert boot media" page. i don't have access to another windows 8 as of now to create a recovery disk. do you have a link as to where i could download system restore disk for free?

no

not that i can recall. no 

it blinks

yes

unfortunately i wasnt able to create 1.

it would be a great help if you could assist me on this. tnx. 

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

See here: How to Create or Download a Windows 8 and 8.1 ISO

Option One tells you how to use the mediacreationtool to download and create a ISO or create a bootable flash drive.  I'd create the ISO then use Rufus to create a UEFI/GPT bootable flash drive. Once you have that you can boot it to reinstall Windows 8.1 or use the various Repair functions available.

You don't say what the make and full model number of your computer is but they all have a built-in recovery partition that can be used to restore your computer to it's factory new condition. This means it will remove everything so you must backup your data before doing this.

The best way to backup is to get an external USB hard drive then do an image backup using Macrium Reflect Free.

Good tutorial for using Macrium here; Imaging with free Macrium