Welcome to Geeks to Go. My name is dbreeze and I'll be helping you with this problem. Before I get into the removal of malware / correction of your problem, I need you to be aware of the following:
Let's get started....
- Please read all of my response through at least once before attempting to follow the procedures described.I would recommend printing them out, if you can, as you can check off each step as you complete it. Also, as some of the cleaning may be done in Safe Mode and there will be no internet connection then, you will find that having the steps printed for reference speeds the cleaning process along. If there's anything you don't understand or isn't totally clear to you, please come back to me for clarification before you start those steps.
- All of the assistants and staff at Geeks to Go are here on a volunteer basis; please respect our time given to the cause of helping others.If you are going to be away for more than 4 days, please let me know here. (I will do the same for you.) We do realize that 'life happens' and situations arise unexpectedly; we just ask that you keep us up to date. That being said, please notice the following Geeks to Go rule:
- Posts that are not replied to in four (4) days will result in the topic being closed. We have not forgotten you; this is just an effort to keep the boards organized and flowing. To continue on your closed topic, please PM me or any Moderator to have the topic reactivated. If, at any time during our working together, I have not responded to you in 2 days (48 hours), then please PM me.
- Malware removal is a complex, multiple step process; please stay with me on this thread (don't start another thread) until I declare that your logs are clean and you are good to go. The absence of apparent issues does not mean your system is clean; I will tell you when everything looks good for you to go and help you remove the tools we have used.
- If any of the security programs on your system should give any warnings about the software tools I ask you to download and use, please do not be alarmed.All of the tools I will have you use are safe to use (as instructed) and malware free.
- While we strive to disrupt your system as little as possible, things happen.If you can, it would be best to back up your personal files now (if you do not already have a backup). You can store these on a CD/DVD, USB drive or stick, anywhere but on your same system. This will save you from possible anguish later if something unforeseen happens.
- Please do not run any other tools or scanners than what I ask you to.Some of the openly available software made for malware removal can make changes to your system that interfere with the cleaning of the malware, or even destroy your system. I will use only what the situation calls for and direct you in the proper use of that software.
- Please do not attach any log files to your replies unless I specifically ask you.Instead please copy and paste so as to include the log in your reply. You can do this in separate posts if it's easier for you.
I need to ask a couple of questions first then we will head in the proper direction:
Can you boot into Safe Mode at all?
What is the OS of the laptop and do you have the correct disks for that OS? (It sounds like you do but I wanted to be sure first.)
Do you have a USB stick / drive that can be used to transfer programs / data until we get your system working again?
Do you have access to a working PC? (Again, this may sound dumb but it is better to ask now.)