Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hardest PC Problem Ever [Solved]

windows 7 asus pxe rom pxe mof

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

lambs88

lambs88

• Pip
  • 5 posts
My asus g75vw laptop got a virus that wont allow me to open any of my programs, they all now appear as a blank page icon. I wanted to reinstall windows anyways but the virus is stopping the disc from autorunnig when its inserted while on the desktop. SO i changed my boot order to have my blu ray player boot first upon start up so i could install windows that way, i then recieved this error ------------------
Check cable connection!
PXE-M0F: Exiting Intel PXE ROM.
No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key

I did some research online and people seemed to suggest that my motherboard wasnt seeig my hard drive or it was no good anymore BUT I can see my hard drive in the bios and i can still boot windows (nothing works in windows though). I know its not my disc either as ive tried two dufferent windows 7 dvds and a brand new 8.1.

Ive never had to bring my computer in to a tech so id really like to be able to figure this out. All help is GREATLY APPRECIATED

Advertisements

dbreeze

dbreeze

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,216 posts

Hi lambs88,

Welcome to Geeks to Go. My name is dbreeze and I'll be helping you with this problem. Before I get into the removal of malware / correction of your problem, I need you to be aware of the following:

• Please read all of my response through at least once before attempting to follow the procedures described.I would recommend printing them out, if you can, as you can check off each step as you complete it. Also, as some of the cleaning may be done in Safe Mode and there will be no internet connection then, you will find that having the steps printed for reference speeds the cleaning process along. If there's anything you don't understand or isn't totally clear to you, please come back to me for clarification before you start those steps.
  • All of the assistants and staff at Geeks to Go are here on a volunteer basis; please respect our time given to the cause of helping others.If you are going to be away for more than 4 days, please let me know here. (I will do the same for you.) We do realize that 'life happens' and situations arise unexpectedly; we just ask that you keep us up to date. That being said, please notice the following Geeks to Go rule:
  • Posts that are not replied to in four (4) days will result in the topic being closed. We have not forgotten you; this is just an effort to keep the boards organized and flowing. To continue on your closed topic, please PM me or any Moderator to have the topic reactivated. If, at any time during our working together, I have not responded to you in 2 days (48 hours), then please PM me.
  • Malware removal is a complex, multiple step process; please stay with me on this thread (don't start another thread) until I declare that your logs are clean and you are good to go. The absence of apparent issues does not mean your system is clean; I will tell you when everything looks good for you to go and help you remove the tools we have used.
  • If any of the security programs on your system should give any warnings about the software tools I ask you to download and use, please do not be alarmed.All of the tools I will have you use are safe to use (as instructed) and malware free.
  • While we strive to disrupt your system as little as possible, things happen.If you can, it would be best to back up your personal files now (if you do not already have a backup). You can store these on a CD/DVD, USB drive or stick, anywhere but on your same system. This will save you from possible anguish later if something unforeseen happens.
  • Please do not run any other tools or scanners than what I ask you to.Some of the openly available software made for malware removal can make changes to your system that interfere with the cleaning of the malware, or even destroy your system. I will use only what the situation calls for and direct you in the proper use of that software.
  • Please do not attach any log files to your replies unless I specifically ask you.Instead please copy and paste so as to include the log in your reply. You can do this in separate posts if it's easier for you.

Let's get started....

I need to ask a couple of questions first then we will head in the proper direction:

Can you boot into Safe Mode at all?

What is the OS of the laptop and do you have the correct disks for that OS?  (It sounds like you do but I wanted to be sure first.)

Do you have a USB stick / drive that can be used to transfer programs / data until we get your system working again?

Do you have access to a working PC?  (Again, this may sound dumb but it is better to ask now.)

lambs88

lambs88

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I don't know how to boot to safe mode but should be able to if you give me directions

I do have a legitimate copy of Windows

I do have a usb and external hard drive I can use for transferring data

lambs88

lambs88

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Also yes I have access to a working pc.

I know safe mode is usually triggered by pressing f8 but this doesn't seem to be working

dbreeze

dbreeze

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,216 posts

What is the OS on the laptop (Win8.1 / Win7 / etc.)?

lambs88

lambs88

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Windows 7 home prem

dbreeze

dbreeze

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,216 posts

I know you said that it seems that Safe Mode does not seem to work but I want you to try that first before using the Windows Installation disk / Recovery Environment mode.

• On a clean machine, please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to a flash drive.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system.

Plug the flashdrive into the infected PC.
  • If you are using Windows 8 consult How to use the Windows 8 System Recovery Environment Command Prompt to enter System Recovery Command prompt.

If you are using Vista or Windows 7 enter System Recovery Options.

To enter System Recovery Options from the Advanced Boot Options:
    • Restart the computer.
    • As soon as the BIOS is loaded begin tapping the F8 key until Advanced Boot Options appears.
    • Use the arrow keys to select the Repair your computer menu item.
    • Select US as the keyboard language settings, and then click Next.
    • Select the operating system you want to repair, and then click Next.
    • Select your user account an click Next.
    Note: In case you can not enter System Recovery Options by using F8 method, you can use Windows installation disc, or make a repair disc. Any Windows installation disc or a repair disc made on another computer can be used.
    To make a repair disk on Windows 7 consult: http://www.sevenforu...isc-create.html

To enter System Recovery Options by using Windows installation disc:
    • Insert the installation disc.
    • Restart your computer.
    • If prompted, press any key to start Windows from the installation disc. If your computer is not configured to start from a CD or DVD, check your BIOS settings.
    • Click Repair your computer.
    • Select US as the keyboard language settings, and then click Next.
    • Select the operating system you want to repair, and then click Next.
    • Select your user account and click Next.
  • On the System Recovery Options menu you will get the following options:

Startup Repair
    System Restore
    Windows Complete PC Restore
    Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool
    Command Prompt

Select Command Prompt
  • Once in the Command Prompt:
    • In the command window type in notepad and press Enter.
    • The notepad opens. Under File menu select Open.
    • Select "Computer" and find your flash drive letter and close the notepad.
    • In the command window type e:\frst (for x64 bit version type e:\frst64) and press Enter
      Note: Replace letter e with the drive letter of your flash drive.
    • The tool will start to run.
    • When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
    • Press Scan button.
    • It will make a log (FRST.txt) on the flash drive. Please copy and paste it to your reply.

lambs88

lambs88

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I ended up using command line on my other laptop to make a bootable USB with a copy of Windows 7 on it.

After two months of trying different things my girlfriend finally remembered that the blu Ray player on her laptop doesn't work...fml. Could have saved me some time lol.

PROBLEM SOLVED THANKS!

dbreeze

dbreeze

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,216 posts

Glad you got it worked out.  :thumbsup:

dbreeze

dbreeze

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,216 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.