Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Reinstallation of Windows 7 on HP Elitebook

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

londonkj

londonkj

• PipPip
  • 63 posts

I have an HP Elitebook 8730w laptop and want to do a clean reinstall of windows 7, (I think thats what its called and what I need to do as it is running slower and startup is not ideal, also running hot)

I think it originally shipped with vista or XP, then I had W7 installed a few years ago. I have the discs but just want to know the best way of doing this please.

Any help gratefully accepted.

Many thanks!

Advertisements

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Hi londonjk :)

Reinstalling Windows 7 is actually really easy. All you need to do is to grab your product key (if you don't have it written down, you can grab the current one in use via ProduKey), then prepare an installation media with a Windows 7 .iso (either a DVD or a USB Flash Drive), and simply boot from it to reinstall Windows. If you want, I wrote a full tutorial on another forum on how to prepare a Windows 7 installation media and install it (walkthrought). If you want, I can copy/paste it here for you. The important part when reinstalling Windows 7 is to make sure that when you are in the setup, to select the current partition that hosts the Windows OS, click on "Advanced Settings" and then select the "Format" option to format the drive before reinstalling Windows 7 on it.

Any questions? :)

londonkj

londonkj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Hi GeekU Junior.

thanks for the post, I do have the product key, so the link you mentioned would be most appreciated.

Thanks

LKJ

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
GeekU Junior is my title on GeeksToGo, my username is Aura :)
Here goes (excuse the formatting, the tutorial was posted on a MyBB powered forum and therefore some tags doesn't work on GTG as it's powered by IPB). To create the Windows 7 installation media, if you want to use a USB Flash Drive, use the YUMI method. If you want to use a DVD, please use ImgBurn.

Requirements
  • Windows 7 installation .iso (the version you want, it can be Home Premium, Professional, Ultimate or Entreprise)
  • The product key for the Windows 7 version you're going to install
  • Either a :
    • DVD : If you want to burn the .iso on a DVD (needs to have at least 4GBs of space)
    • USB flash drive : If you want to create a bootable USB flash drive with the .iso (needs to be have at least 4GBs of space)
Prepare a bootable device with the Windows 7 installation .iso

So this part is for the people that wants to reinstall Windows or install Windows, but they don't have any Windows 7 installation DVDs. What we're going to do is that we'll create a Windows 7 installation DVD or a bootable USB flash drive with the Windows 7 installation from a Windows 7 .iso. There's multiple tools that will allow you to do the same thing such as UNetbootin, ImgBurn (burn to DVD only). In this tutorial, we'll use Microsoft's official tool to either : burn that .iso on a DVD or make an USB flash drive bootable with it. You can download Windows 7 to USB/DVD Download Tool here :

[WARNING : This tool CAN NOT be used with an external hard drive or your hard drive.]

Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool

This page also contains the steps to follow in order to create a DVD with the Windows 7 installation .iso or a bootable USB flash drive with it, if my instructions are not clear enough. After you've download the Windows 7 to USB/DVD Download installation program, execute it and install the program (the installation process should look like "Next", "Install", "Finish", easy no ?). Once the installation is done, execute the program (the icon should be on your desktop, also, using this tool required an account with Admin. Rights).

The first step will ask you to select which .iso you want to work it. Click on "Browse", go to the location where your Windows 7 installation .iso is located, then select it, click on "Open" and hit "Next". Now it will ask you what media you want to work with. Select whatever device you want to work with : if it's a DVD, click on the "DVD" button (NOTE : You'll have to use a standard 4.7GBs DVD to burn the Windows 7 installation .iso on it) or if it's an USB device, click on "USB Device".
  • If you pick the DVD, on the next step, just click on "Begin Burning" and wait till the operation is complete.
  • If you selected an USB device, select your USB device in the drop down list (look for your USB device attributed letter), select it, then click on "Begin copying" and wait till the operation is complete.
-PICTURE-
Spoiler

Ta-da ! You know have a bootable Windows 7 installation media ! Now, let's launch the installation !

Launch the Windows 7 Installation

In order to launch the Windows 7 installation process, you'll have to boot from the media on which you burned the Windows 7 installation .iso. Now this step will vary for everyone as every brands and models have their own way to do the following. Reboot your computer and hit the F key that will allow you to access your "Boot Menu" or "Boot Order". To find the right F key, you'll have to take a look at your computer screen when it displays your computer's brand logo. Around it, you should see some lines like "F2 = Boot Menu" or "F10 = BIOS", etc (the F key is most commonly F2, F8, F10, and F12). Look for these lines and look for the one that contains something along the lines of "Boot Menu" or "Boot order". Once you get in that menu, select to boot from the media that contains the Windows 7 installation, in this case, either your DVD or your USB flash drive. If you created your Windows 7 installation media properly, a black screen should appear with the lince "Windows is loading files" and a progress bar at the bottom.

And there you go ! You now started the Windows installation process. From there, let's see what we have to do !

Windows 7 Installation

The first step is easy. Simple select the language for Windows (you can only choose the language that comes with the .iso or DVD you have, if it's exemple a German Windows 7 installation DVD, the only language available for the installation will be German. Windows 7 Ultimate allows you to switch languages after the installation). You select your current time and currency format and your keyboard layout (all of these option should have the right values automatically by default, if not, just modify them to the right values).

-PICTURE-
Spoiler

Do you really need an explanation for this step ? Just click on "Install now" already !
[You might have noticed the "Repair your computer" at the bottom left corner. It's normal, a Windows 7 installation .iso / DVD can be used to attempt to repair a defective Windows system. I'll cover this in another tutorial]

-PICTURE-
Spoiler

Again, another easy and common step in every installations. Check the "I accept the licence terms" checkbox and click on "Next".

-PICTURE-
Spoiler

Ah ha ! This step is a little bit more interesting. Here, you have the choice to perform an upgrade from your current Windows system (Windows XP) that will keep all your files, settings, programs, etc. or the "Custom" option to install a new copy of Windows, a fresh start. Don't be too afraid by the "(advanced)", it's really simple. A 12 years-old kid could install Windows by himself. In our case, we'll click on "Custom (advanced)".

-PICTURE-
Spoiler

Now, this is the most interesting part of the tutorial, this is where people have the more questions. But you'll see that after I explain what to do here, you'll be able to do it with your eyes closed.
Okay so let's see what we have here. I only have one option on where to install Windows, on my "Disk 0 Unallocated Space". Disk 0 means that it's the first hard disk drive plugged in your computer on the SATA0 part. Unallocated means that it has not been formatted yet and therefore, have no file system attributed to it. In my case, I would just click "Next" and go on with the installation. This means, that Windows will install it self on my 50GBs hard disk drive (HDD), but it will also format it to a NTFS file system at the same time.

For the people that want to REINSTALL Windows completely or install it to their SSD or HDD. What you will do is that you will select the partition where you current Windows system is installed. USUALLY, it should be on "Disk 0 Partition 2". Why "Partition 2" ? Because usually your "Partition 1" contains a system partition for your HDD or SSD, so I suggest you to not touch it and leave it. After you have selected the partition on which you want to install Windows, you'll have an option called "Drive options (advanced)". Click on it, then you'll get the same menu that you see in the picture below. For now, I'll not explain all the options. The only one that interest you is "Format". If you click that option, it will format (erase everything) on the current partition you have selected. If you are reinstalling Windows and that you're done with your old Windows system, click that option to delete Windows from that partition. Let the format operation run and once it's done, you can go on by clicking "Next".

-PICTURE-
Spoiler

There, we just started Windows installation. Your computer will reboot a few times during that process. DON'T TOUCH ANYTHING and leave it till it hit the next step in the picture below (Computer's name).

-PICTURE-
Spoiler

Here you'll enter your username (this will be your Windows username and the name of your user profile) you want to have. The computer name will automatically adjust itself to the chosen name and add "-PC" at the end, like in the screenshot. However, you're free to change the computer name to whatever you like.

-PICTURE-
Spoiler

In the next step, you'll have to enter a password for your user account on Windows. I suggest you to get a decent password with at least one capital letter, two numbers and at least 8 to 10 characters long. We never know who could want to get on your computer. You can also add a little "hint" that will be displayed when you miss your password when trying to log in to help you remember it. Try to not make it too obvious, obviously (see what I did here ?).

-PICTURE-
Spoiler

The next step is where you're going to enter your Windows product key to activate it. Enter your product key, and uncheck the "Automatically active Windows when I'm online" checkbox. Why ? Because if you check this box, you're given a certain time to activate your Windows online. If that time pass, you'll have to call Microsoft directly to activate it. So enter your product key (the product key for the version of Windows you are using can be the same for the 32-bits version or 64-bits version) then hit "Next". In my case, because I'm installing Windows in a VM (Virtual Machine), I'll just hit "Skip". Then means that my Windows will not be activated and I'll lack certain basics Windows features.

-PICTURE-
Spoiler

The next step asks you to pick the type of settings you want to apply to your Windows Updates.
The first option will automatically install every updates that are being found without asking you (both important and recommended).
The second option will automatically install the imporant updated only (security patches and fixes for exemple).
The third option will not set anything and you'll have to decide later on (after the installation) what settings you want for your Windows Updates.
Personally, I recommend selecting the second option (important updates only) as most of the recommended updates are not needed and will only bloat your Windows. You can however at anytime, browse through the available recommended updates for your Windows and pick which ones you want to install.

-PICTURE-
Spoiler

Another easy step, select your current timezome and hit "Next".

-PICTURE-
Spoiler

This is the final step of your Windows installation. It will ask you to select the type of the network you're connected to. There's three different types, each one will set different settings for your Windows network settings. I'm pretty that most of you will install Windows at home (of course) on your own network. So you should select the first option "Home network" then let it connect to that network and set the settings.

-PICTURE-
Spoiler

Et voilà, you're done !
You've successfully installed (or reinstalled) Windows 7 on your computer or laptop from a DVD or a bootable USB flash drive !
From there, I assume you know what to do. The first thing to do will be to go see if there's any Windows Updates available, if there is, install all the important ones, reboot your computer, and you'll be really done.

The End

I hope this tutorial helped you guys, and like the usual, if you have any questions, you want me to work or elaborate more on a certain point I covered or didn't cover in this thread, feel free to comment below or send me a PM.
Thank you !

londonkj

londonkj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Hi Aura, thanks for the instructions,

I have the W7 upgrade discs i used when i upgraded my laptop to W7, can i use this instead of creating my own installation disc? or is it just safer and better to create my own?

Stupid question, but does the creation of the W7 disc actually download it from microsoft? or does it write it from the hard drive? ie, will it use my internet tarif? as i am not on a very good one here and woudl prefer if I did not have to down load such a large file(s)

Thanks

Attached Thumbnails

• Picture 42.jpg
  • Picture 41.jpg

Edited by londonkj, 13 January 2015 - 10:00 AM.

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
I'm pretty sure that an upgrade disc is a Windows 7 installation DVD. From who is it? Your computer manufacturer or Microsoft?

londonkj

londonkj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

its from Microsoft, I put some pics of it on my previous post, also does the creation of the W7 disc actually download it from microsoft? or does it write it from the hard drive? ie, will it use my internet tarif? as i am not on a very good one here and woudl prefer if I did not have to down load such a large file(s)

Cheers,

Kev

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
I cannot see what's written exactly on the DVD box nor the DVD, but they look like official installation material to me. I would back-up my product key using ProduKey just in case (if you don't have it already) and proceed to the reinstallation. And to create a bootable media using a Windows 7 .iso, you will have to download a Windows 7 .iso, which is around 3GB, yes. If possible, can you take more pictures of the box and DVD so I can see exactly what's written on them?

I just verified and in any case, yes, you can perform a clean installation from a Windows 7 Upgrade DVD. Simply insert it in your CD/DVD-ROM, boot from it and it'll launch the installation setup. From there, only follow the instructions of the setup (assisted by my tutorial if needed) and you'll have reinstalled Windows 7 in no time.

Edited by Aura, 13 January 2015 - 12:20 PM.

londonkj

londonkj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Hi Aura,

I started the process for reinstall and left it for an hour, i have come back and its just a black screen, i can see that the computer is still on, is there  problem? or is it doing something in the background?

how long should the process take?

Thanks.

Edited by londonkj, 14 January 2015 - 09:19 AM.

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Did you try moving the mouse or pressing the space bar on the keyboard to see if the monitor isn't in sleep mode? Also, depending of the computer, an install can take between 45 minutes and a hour and a half.

Advertisements

londonkj

londonkj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

yes i have tried to move the mouse and tapped the space bar but nothing happens.... the light indicators are showing near the keyboard but the screen just nothing..... have i killed it? :-(

londonkj

londonkj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

does the formatting of the hard drive happen at the same time? would this influence the time it takes?

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
No, the formatting of the hard drive happens when you select the partition, click on the "Advanced Settings" button and select "Format". Did you do that step? It's in 5th paragraph under "Windows 7 Installation" in my tutorial.

londonkj

londonkj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

yes i did do that, and it changed the numbers to reflect that the free space matched the total space...

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Alright, once you started the installation, what happened? Did you successfully got to the next window that shows progress of the installation?