Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Reinstallation of Windows 7 on HP Elitebook

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

londonkj

londonkj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

i selected the options that suited, and had the one about the formatting and selected to format the drive, which was the largest one, there were two others, but when i clicked on them they said that windows could not be installed on them, so i thought i must have selected the correct one, it was about 270 GB or thereabouts...

Advertisements

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Do you remember the size of these partitions and their number? Like Disk 0 Partition 1, Disk 0 Partition 2, and so on? And I mean, after you selected the partition on which to install Windows and clicked on the "Install" button, did it bring you up this window?
xZ87YMz1.png.pagespeed.ic.-rKiOoUPW4jA6t

londonkj

londonkj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

there were 3 partitions,

1st about 275gb

2nd about 1 gb

3rd about 1gb.

i really cant remember, i do remember that the 3rd one was for HP tools

when i hit install it did bring up the window you indicate

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
The 1st one was the good one to install Windows on then. The second one was most likely a System Recovery partition. Then once this screen was brought up, you left the room and didn't follow the installation progress? There's good chances that the installation is complete, but the computer is in "Sleep Mode". Can you press on the power button for a second and see if it powers up?

Edited by Aura, 14 January 2015 - 10:16 AM.

londonkj

londonkj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

i had to go out but thought it would be taking a while to do its thing...

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
I edited my previous post, can you try this?
"There's good chances that the installation is complete, but the computer is in "Sleep Mode". Can you press on the power button for a second and see if it powers up?"

londonkj

londonkj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

i pushed the power button for a second as you said and about 10 seconds later it just turned off...... now its completely off!

The install DVD is still in the machine.

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Alright, press on the power button again to start the computer. Is it booting in Windows?

londonkj

londonkj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

it is starting windows now.

londonkj

londonkj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

it says set up is preparing computer for first use. and running through some things like user name etc

Advertisements

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Alright, let me know if you're able to log into a user account after. If you do, it means that the Windows installation completed.

Edit: Then it means that the installation went through. Follow the instructions on the screen :)

Edited by Aura, 14 January 2015 - 10:28 AM.

londonkj

londonkj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

i have logged in with my new user account but the screen resolution is all very large, is this normal?

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Do you mean it's big or it's small? Like, are the icons on the desktop big or small? And yes it's normal, since if you adjusted your screen resolution in your old installation, you'll have to do it again in your new installation since these settings weren't saved.

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

A bit early yet perhaps but please bear this in mind, in your first post you mentioned it was running hot, if that is correct the reinstall of Windows will not cure that problem, so once you do have it fully running the operating system and settled the resolution, get back to us about the heat and what temperatures are recorded. You may need to install Seccy for that, however let us know please.

Nev.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

You should also check in device manager to be sure there are no missing drivers. Look for any ? or ! in there.