Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Adding second printer to Dell E520 Vista computer

• Please log in to reply

yooser

yooser

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Hello, This may be obvious , but, I just can't fathom how to add a second Epson R300 printer to my Dell E520 vista computer !

When I plugged in the second R300 printer using a spare USB port it automatically installed , but I can't see how I can change from my default R300 printer to the second one, so as to temporarily

use it.

The reason for using two printers is to use my default one for run of the mill printing using cheap inks and the second one for printing photos using expensive original inks.

I hope this makes sense and someone can help me.

Thanks in advance , Neale.

Advertisements

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Hi, possibly because they are exactly the same make and model of printer the new one will be using the drivers and other software that was installed with the first.

What happens if you turn off the power to the first printer and remove its USB plug? Does the second printer take over?

Secondly did the new printer come with an installation disk?

If so did you follow the installation procedure, usually insert the disk and let it run through the process, and when prompted and only when prompted plug in the printer.

bear in mind, being exactly the same make and model of R300, Windows may get confused and refuse to install the second printer correctly due to the first one being on the system in the first place.

Nev.

yooser

yooser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Hello Nev,

I have tried as you suggested and find that when I disconnect the first printer and then connect the second printer it will not print , it just comes up with the warning that the printer is not connected.

I can't find the installation disc but my pal has one which I shall get tomorrow and try the rest of your tests.

Thanks for your help, it makes sense what you said about both the printers being the same, I hope that there is a way around the problem !

Regards from Neale.

yooser

yooser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Hello Nev,

I have carried out your suggestions and have a way around the problem, I make the spare printer the default printer to carry out the printing job ,then when finished I change back to the main printer, by changing it to the default. It's a bit of a ' bodge job ' but it works !

All the best from Neale.

P.S. I note from your profile that you are younger than me !!!

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Hi,

Thanks for making me feel young :spoton:

I suspected it might turn out like that being both the same, however at least you found a way round it.

I used to have two different printers, however because they were different makes they both had to be installed via the disks. Once that was done, when asking for a print job I got asked which machine to use first, though if I remember correctly, the first to be installed was called the default one. Unfortunately that one died (a Kodak) and now just got the Canon one.

Nev.