Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installation of Canon Camera Software

• Please log in to reply

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts

I purchased a new Canon Digital Camera.  I attempted to instal software while at the same time having older Canon Software on pc, but in order to get the new software to  install properly I had to uninstall the older software.  Am I to understand by this that I cannot have two different Canon camera softwares on same pc at same time.  Would be possible to install  older camera software under different user to have both cameras accessible to pc for uploading picture from both cameras.?

Advertisements

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Hi waynf :)

From my experience, it doesn't really matter if you uninstalled the old version of the Canon program to install the new one. What you did is basically "update" that program to a newer version, which means that both cameras will still work with the camera. It would be really "stupid" to create from scratch two Canon programs for two types of camera, it wouldn't be a smart move at all from Canon. I suggest you to try your precedent camera with the new version of the Canon software and see if it works. In my experience, it will.

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts

I  never thought that older camera could use the newer software as there was an eight year spread from the older camera to the new.  However i did notice that from small changes the software is quite similar to the older version I will try the older camera and see how it works out.

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
In any way wayn, if it doesn't work with the older camera, you can always just plug the camera and access it from Windows Explorer or the SD card directly, there's no real need to use the software :)

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts

What do you mean access it with SD card.  I have no way to connect SD card to pc.  The only way as you say through Windows Explorer.  Well i will give it a try and see how it works.

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts

That's good, let me know how it goes so I can see if the "issue" is solved or not :)

Edited by Aura, 19 January 2015 - 01:16 PM.