Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Heating Issues and Screen Damage

hp envy 15 screen damage heating issues screen heating damage defect

• Please log in to reply

kwumbe7mtumba

kwumbe7mtumba

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Hello, 

I have posted this in the HP support forum as well, however I would love to obtain other opinions. 

You may either read it here http://h30434.www3.h...age/m-p/4835146

Or in the text quoted below.

Hello,

This is going to be quite long since I'm going to explain everything in as much detail as possible.

I bought my HP Envy 15 j123tx in September 2014 and for three months I had absolutely no issue with it (work wise and gaming wise) until one day I booted up the computer and noticed that a big rectangular portion of the screen (on the top - in the rectangular area that aligns with the touchpad when the lid is closed) was discoloured. Specifically it was much darker than the rest of the screen on a black background and yellow on a white background. 

After checking to see if there was anything on the screen's surface, I realized it was a hardware issue and decided to use my warranty (of which I have another 8 months or so remaining). I told the retailers about the issue and they told me it could be because of the pressure applied on the lid (when it is closed) that affects the screen specifically in that area since the touchpad is a bit sunken in to the notebook's body. After expressing my displeasure at how inconvenient that is since I've taken very good care of my notebook and have only transported it in the HP notebook bag, they promised me that they would send it to the HP Service Center in Sri Lanka who would replace the display panel for me (obviously since my notebook is still under warranty).

After 10 working days, I went over to the retailer's warranty center and collected my notebook with the display panel replaced and the problem gone. I did however notice that the technicians had pasted a note next to the touchpad which read "Check  the temperature of the touchpad. It could be heating up and damaging the screen". I asked the retailer's technicians what this meant and they told me that since the notebook has a magnesium (or magnesium based) body, it tends to heat up. The heat could also be heating up the touchpad (since that too seems to be made of magnesium). As a result whenever I close the lid of my notebook, the rectangular screen area directly above the touchpad could be heating up and thus getting damaged.

Now this to me seems like a huge product line defect. I've been using HP notebooks for more than 8 years and I've never heard of this issue before. I asked the technicians how I could prevent this from occurring again and they told me to use the little cloth that came with the laptop when I bought it that is placed under the lid (between the screen and the keyboard) when the lid is closed.

While using that little cloth doesn't seem to be quite inconvenient, I'm very afraid that the problem will occur again and I'll have to get it fixed again which involves transferring all my data and losing my notebook for 2 weeks which is highly problematic for me as I require it for work. Should the problem occur again outside the warranty period, I feel I may have wasted a good amount of money on this notebook when I trusted HP over its competitors simply due to my past experiences with it's reliability, durability and performance.

While I realize this is not a current issue - I would really like to know if this issue has been experienced before (my search did not turn up anything related) and if I do have to be worried about it happening again and if so, how I should go about handling it with the retailers (perhaps I should give it back and ask for a refund for selling me a defective product line).

Thank you sincerely.

Thank you. I have also attached a picture of the problem for your reference.

Attached Thumbnails

• Notebook Screen Damage.jpg

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,021 posts

:welcome:   kwumbe7mtumba,

You have done right by posting on the HP forums as one of their tech support team may well pick it up, if not I would contact HP yourself and open a case with them before your warranty does expire, looks like either a design fault or you have one that has slipped past quality control, HP support here

TIP

To ensure that you receive notification of any reply to your topic please click on the Follow this topic tab at the upper right corner of the page. 

kwumbe7mtumba

kwumbe7mtumba

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

:welcome:   kwumbe7mtumba,

You have done right by posting on the HP forums as one of their tech support team may well pick it up, if not I would contact HP yourself and open a case with them before your warranty does expire, looks like either a design fault or you have one that has slipped past quality control, HP support here

TIP

To ensure that you receive notification of any reply to your topic please click on the Follow this topic tab at the upper right corner of the page. 

Thanks for the quick response!

Well they have replaced my screen/display panel. All I'm worried about is it happening again. Do you think I should contact them about the touchpad "overheating"? Ive been using it for a couple of days and the touchpad isn't excruciatingly hot. Just as slightly warm as the rest of the notebook (where I place my hands when I type).

Edited by kwumbe7mtumba, 15 January 2015 - 09:29 AM.

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Before closing the lid do you fully turn the laptop off, or allow it to go into sleep mode as most laptops do when the lid is closed?

If in sleep mode, it may just be some odd fault is making the touch pad heat up when unattended.

If that is happening, or even if you do fully turn the laptop off, close the lid, leave it for around five to ten minutes, then check if any warmth can be felt in the touch pad or surrounding area.

If so that gives you something to tell the HP support guys as it most certainly shouldn't be happening.

Nev.

kwumbe7mtumba

kwumbe7mtumba

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Before closing the lid do you fully turn the laptop off, or allow it to go into sleep mode as most laptops do when the lid is closed?

If in sleep mode, it may just be some odd fault is making the touch pad heat up when unattended.

If that is happening, or even if you do fully turn the laptop off, close the lid, leave it for around five to ten minutes, then check if any warmth can be felt in the touch pad or surrounding area.

If so that gives you something to tell the HP support guys as it most certainly shouldn't be happening.

Nev.

Thanks for the reply Plastic Nev. I usually turn off my computer, I rarely put it on sleep mode unless I'm going to use it again in another hour or so and I need to do something else until then. Besides that I've honestly never noticed the touch pad heating up.

Let me use it for a few more days and then perhaps get back to ya'll.