Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

G3258 or keep my A10 6800k for gaming?

Intel AMD Overclock A10-6800K Pentium G3258 Gaming

• Please log in to reply

SM125

SM125

• Pip
  • 3 posts

I've been running an A10-6800k at 4.7ghz for a couple of years and slowly started upgrading parts, first was an R9 280 and I would love to eventually buy a 4690k when I have the money.

My question is, would a G3258 oc'd to 4.5 be an upgrade/downgrade for the time being and to get me into a good Z97 board with room for improvement later on?

At the moment I'm playing Arma 3 multiplayer a lot and it seems to favour fast single core performance which is obviously lacking in the 6800k, I'm just not entirely sure whether or not it will be a worthy change other than the fact of having a vastly superior upgrade path.

There seems to be no benchmarks for Arma 3 multiplayer, only singleplayer, that I can find to compare the G3258 to what I'm currently getting with the 6800k.

I'm aware that I would sometimes lose out in heavily threaded applications but as I said, Arma 3 is probably 90% of the systems use.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Edited by SM125, 15 January 2015 - 12:41 AM.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Welcome back SM125.

There seems to be no benchmarks for Arma 3 multiplayer, only singleplayer, that I can find to compare the G3258 to what I'm currently getting with the 6800k.

That is the whole problem in being able to give an informed answer.   From a couple of hours researching, my opinion is, go for it.   

FYI. Using  other than the stock cooler and or overclocking, voids the Intel/AMD CPU 3 year warranty, so you do so at your own risk.  

I don't think it would be a downgrade as you can get a very high OC  and the single core performance is better the the AMD.  You have already seen that your upgrade path would be a lot better.

Couple of points.

Would your existing RAM be compatible with a Z97 platform?

If your OS is a OEM licensed version?   You will need a new one as it is not transferable to a different MB.

Mac29

Mac29

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

I'd second iammykyl. You seem to be favoring Arma 3/now vs. 'future-proofing'. Since you say the 6800k is noticeable now I'd say find a deal on the intel chip, maybe a combo deal. I'd think the Z97 would cover 'worthy' and the chip will make a noticeable improvement, especially if 90% of your time is on that game.