Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

RAM usage queries, differences between laptop and PC

• Please log in to reply

dcfromsydney

dcfromsydney

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Hi all, my cousin, heartgrave, has recommended I post this query here.

I have a laptop and pc; specs for Asus A53E laptop is i5 Intel processor at 2.4 GHz with 4gb RAM. OS is W7, I use Firefox as my browser, there is IE10 and Chrome on board but not used.  RAM usage with Firefox engaged seems consistently above 70%

PC is an i3, Asus ASRock mainboard, also 4GB RAM with a 1gb video card fitted. There's Opera, IE10 and Firefox. RAM usage is rarely above 40%

Laptop RAM is 665.1 Mhz with 9 clocks latency. PC is 799.9MHz single channel with 11 clocks.

These are figures obtained via cpu-z.

Has anyone any ideas as to why there's such a disparity between the two?

Cheers.

Advertisements

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

lots of people seem to think high ram usage is a bad thing, in fact it's not, unused ram is wasted ram, the only time you need to worry about ram usage is if it is 100% used and also using a lot of virtual memory/page file and swapping to the hard drive constantly thus slowing down your pc, in this case then you don't have enough ram and need to install more (rarely a problem with the amount of ram in pc's today.) or you have a problem somewhere, maybe a closed program didn't free up it's ram usage (memory leak) but whatever the reason you'd need to spend time trying to narrow it down so you could fix it.

this article is about ram in android phones but the same thing applies to pc's. :- http://www.androidce...u-shouldnt-care

another article you may find interesting :- http://www.pcpro.co....you-really-need

to answer your actual question,

Has anyone any ideas as to why there's such a disparity between the two?

there's lots of reasons, depends on how many startup programs you may have running on each machine taking up ram, video may be using more on 1 device than another, etc. etc. there won't be a single reason or program making the difference in ram usage between the 2 pc's but then again neither is it anything to be concerned about that 1 is using over 70% of it's ram while the other is only using 40%.

:popcorn:  

Edited by terry1966, 15 January 2015 - 04:07 AM.