Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hope you can help me.

• Please log in to reply

kakuliukas

kakuliukas

• Pip
  • 1 posts

So i have this problem which i thought i fixed when i asked somebody for help he suggested me to reinstall my drivers (clean install my graphics drivers) which seemed to fix it (i checked by loging in to a mmo walking around a bit to see if it didn't lag so i turned it off). So after a while i thought i should log in and play a bit with my cousin... 15fps. So the problem is that i have very low fps in game i should run fine. My laptop is overclocked by the way (i know overclocking a laptop is bad). I thought overclocking could have caused this so i lowered the clock but it didn't seem to help. Another weird thing i found was that when i went to NVIDIA control panel and wanted to change the PhysX processor i changed it and hit apply but it was stuck on the integrated intel gpu.
my specs are:

Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit (6.3, Build 9600)
Intel® Core™ i7-3720QM CPU @ 2.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.6GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 8072MB RAM
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
(when i went to dxdiag and to the display tab it showed me intel 4000 hd graphics instead of GeForce GT 650M)
Gpu: GeForce GT 650M
Integrated Gpu: Intel HD Graphics 4000
Alienware M14xR2

What i tried doing:
- Clean driver install
- Disabled the intel hd graphics card from device manager.

Thing i didn't do because i might mess up:
- Going to bios and turning off the integrated gpu.

Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Hi kakuliukas :)

From what I can understand, your integrated graphic card (Intel one) is being used when playing games, and not your NVIDIA one, correct? Also, can you list me a few games where this FPS issue occurs? Plus, the solution you didn't want to do because you might mess up is the one you should follow to solve this issue. Or you could always make sure that your Optimus is well set so the NVIDIA GPU is used when you play games:

http://www.dell.com/...=gen&cs=19&l=en