Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Looking to buy a new computer but it's confusing so need a little

Buy New Computer Upgrade

• Please log in to reply

junem7

junem7

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Hello,

I'm new here and didn't know where else to go.

I need a little help on understanding which computer would be better than what I have.

I can't find a clear answer and was thinking of buying a new computer that's faster but I don't understand all the new hardware and how it works and what would be more memory and I definitely need it faster than what I have.

My computer is so slow with my home wifi etc.

Can you tell me which is faster and has more memory please?

which is more 2GB memory; 64GB solid state drive or what I have here or should I look at something else? I would like a lighter laptop and do want a keyboard. My laptop is 5 years old and very heavy. I really don't like it anymore because of the weight and slowness.
I currently have a screenshot of all the info here:

Screenshot 2015-01-15 17.06.31.png

I would like to get something for around a couple hundred bucks.

Thanks in advance to anyone who is knowledgeable on this topic :)

Advertisements

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

the biggest hurdle is the budget so for $200 i'd think about this :- http://gizmodo.com/h...enny-1668809067

now to explain a bit about pc's and memory.

there are 2 types of memory in a pc the first is actually memory or RAM that only gets used when the pc is on and running all data stored in it gets lost as soon as the machine is turned off, this today can be any where from 2GB to 8GB or more, usually the more memory the better but other things come into play so there is no guarantee a laptop with 8GB of memory is going to be faster or better than a laptop with only 2GB of memory.

your current laptop has 3GB of this type of memory, the linked laptop has 2GB but still should be faster than your current laptop in my opinion.

the second type of memory in a pc is not actually called memory but is storage this is also measured in GB and why some people get confused.

the storage is where the operating system and all the data is stored and doesn't get lost when the computer is turned of. this storage area is either on a hard drive or solid state drive (ssd) and can be anything from as little as the 32GB that's in the linked computer to many 1000's of GB's. 1000GB is called 1TB.

no idea what amount of storage is in your current laptop because it's not shown in the screenshot but would think it's 250GB where as the linked pc only has 32GB.

is the linked device the right one for you? i have no idea but should be faster than your current laptop based on cpu alone.

the cpu is the brain of a computer and does all the "thinking" calculations that make a pc work and is more important to a pc's speed than any amount of storage or ram usually.

hope that helps you to understand a little bit more about computers without going into any real technical details.

here are some things to consider about the linked device,

it is smaller and lighter than your current laptop but,

there is no disk drive on it so if you play music or video cd's/dvd's you'd need to buy an external dvd/cd drive to connect to it or use other methods to get the cd/dvd content onto it.

do you need a lot of storage for all your data 32GB might not be enough so you'd need to buy an external hard drive to connect to it or use memory cards with it's built in memory card reader.

:popcorn:

here's another couple of review on the hp stream 11 :-

http://www.laptopmag...ps/hp-stream-11

http://www.pcworld.c...hromebooks.html

Edited by terry1966, 15 January 2015 - 10:38 PM.

junem7

junem7

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Hello Terry

and thanks for all your wonderful explanations and pointing out certain things that I might not like about a budget unit.

Yes, I will want to play movies on it every once in a while (like when the power goes out) so that is a factor. I will have to bump up my budget to say $350-$400.

I need something that will give me a smooth running process when clicking on links (tired of this timing out and other glitches from my old unit) and that will be obviously faster due to the new processors that are now available.

What would you go with based on this new criteria?

Your links to the budget laptops opened my eyes quite a bit. I guess if you want something decent, you must pay more for it.

I appreciate all your help ;)

junem7

junem7

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

P.S. 465 GB is what it says is my capacity

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

ok at the top end of your budget but should suit you well being small and light, read the reviews and see if it is what your after. :- http://www.amazon.co...customerReviews

as an alternative,

bigger and more like your current laptop, but faster :- http://www.amazon.co...ds=HP 15-G010DX

:popcorn:

Edited by terry1966, 16 January 2015 - 05:43 PM.