Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP - factory settings (Resolved)

• Please log in to reply

an8ela

an8ela

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Ok yes I am using a netbook at the moment so will be able to do that.  Thanks

Advertisements

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Alright, according to the drivers download page for your computer model on Dell's website, this would be your Ethernet controller drivers:

http://downloads.del...work/R67344.EXE

You'll need to download these drivers, transfer them on the other computer, install them from there and restart the computer.

an8ela

an8ela

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Hi,

Thanks I have downloaded them and have tried to connect to the internet again but the msn message says that their servers may be too busy or I am not connected to the internet.  The broadband Ethernet cable is plugged in.  When I try clicking on internet explorer the message is as before (above).

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
When you look in the icon tray, in the bottom right-corner, hows does your network icon look? Does it display that it's connected, does it have a yellow triangle warning, does it have a red X on it?

an8ela

an8ela

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Hi

There is only a Windows Messenger icon in the corner with a red X on it.

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
If you go in your Control Panel, then go in the Network Connections, do you see your connection name? Is it "Enabled", "Disabled", "Connected" or "Disconnected"?
Example below:
cap002.gif

Edited by Aura, 16 January 2015 - 01:29 PM.

an8ela

an8ela

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Hi

There is nothing there at all.

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Then it's a problem. Alright, right-click on My Computer and select Properties. Go to the Hardware tab and click on Device Manager. From there, you should have a row called Other Devices. Can you list me the name of the devices written under it?

an8ela

an8ela

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Hi

Under other devices are:- Ethernet Controller, Multimedia Audio Controller, PCI Simple Communications Controller, SM Bus Controller, USB Device and Video Controller (VGA Compatible) they all have a yellow exclamation mark on them.

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
The Ethernet Controller is the one we are looking for. Right-click on it and select Properties. From there, go in the Details tab and select Hardware Ids in the drop down list. I'll need you to give me the first string that is being displayed, which should have this form:

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_10EA&REV_05

What I'm interested in here is the 4 numbers after VEN_ and DEV_.

Advertisements

an8ela

an8ela

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

It will not allow me to look at the details it says that the drivers for the device are not installed (Code 28).

To reinstall the drivers for this device, click reinstall driver

an8ela

an8ela

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Shall I click on reinstall driver?

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
And I guess that if you click on Reinstall Drivers, it fails? Make sure to have the CD inserted in the computer when clicking on that option.

an8ela

an8ela

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

It s saying that the wizard could not find the software on the computer and it is recommended to connect to the internet so that the wizard can search online and look for the appropriate software.

It then has two check boxes:- 1) Yes, connect and search for the software on the internet (haven't tried this as don't think it will work!)

2) No, do not connect to the internet now.

At the bottom it says If you know another place where the software might be located, click back and select the Advanced option.

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
We're going to use the advanced option. If you access the CD that is inserted in your computer, what folders are present on it?