Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP - factory settings (Resolved)

• Please log in to reply

an8ela

an8ela

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Folders:-

$OEM$

DOCS

DOTNETFX

SUPPORT

VALUEADD

Then:-

AUTORUN

README

SETUP

SPNOTES

WIN51

WIN51IC

WIN51IC.SP1

Advertisements

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
I guess it's i386 and not 1386? :)
Also, if you go in the "Support" folder, what folders are listed inside?

an8ela

an8ela

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Yes it is on closer inspection :D

Inside the support folder is a tools folder, and in there is:-

ACT20

DEPLOY

FASTWIZ

GBUNICNV

MSRDPCLI

README

SETUP

SUP_PRO

SUP_SRV

SUPPORT

SUPTOOLS

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Let's try something. Choose the option where it asks you to select the driver location manually, and enter the drive letter of the CD. For example, if the CD is tagged as D:, enter D: and click on "Next".

an8ela

an8ela

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

It's saying the wizard could not find the software when I do that. Further down it says if you know another place where the software might be located, click back and the select the Advanced option.

Earlier on I found out what Ethernet card is inside and what the driver should be, and I have found the file on the pc c:windows/system32/drivers/asyncmac.sys but I still can't get it to reinstall and it is also on the disk under i386, but it is unobtainable when I go through the advanced bit of installing it from the disk.

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Sorry for the late reply. Can you try to download and install this driver:

http://downloads.del...work/R67150.EXE

It looks like there was two different Ethernet Controller drivers download for your computer. Both have the same name, but different version and also "revision". Which means that the one I linked you earlier is maybe not the right revision and this one is.

an8ela

an8ela

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Do I download this one and keep the other one?

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
You need to download the new one, transfer if to the computer you Factory Reset and install the..

an8ela

an8ela

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Thats great the internet is now working but the page writing and mouse pointer are huge!  Do I download service pack 2 and 3 to correct this?

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Its because you have no graphic card drivers installed :) Unfortunately I cannot see which exact graphic card you have, and the drivers download page for your computer model offer drivers for Intel, NVIDIA and AMD. So I guess we'll have to try them all if one doesn't work. However, I have a feeling that you have Intel Graphics. Download and install these drivers:

http://downloads.del...deo/R106458.EXE

Restart your computer once the installation is complete.

Advertisements

an8ela

an8ela

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

I have the original description here and it is a 64MB GeForce MX420 8xAGP Graphics Card

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
That's good! Here's the correct drivers for that graphic card:

http://downloads.del...ideo/R75528.EXE

an8ela

an8ela

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

I've unzipped that file and now confused as what to do next! There are 6 setup things that I can click on: Bitmap image, application, configuation settings, inx file another bitmap image and an iss file.  Do I need to click on one of these to open?

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Click on the one that is an executable file. Most likely the file named "application".

an8ela

an8ela

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Thanks I've done that and restarted the computer.  Everything is still large though!  This is now XP with service pack 1.