Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

99 Procent CPU usage and starcraft 2 switching to desktop

• Please log in to reply

DeZiekeNon

DeZiekeNon

• PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

A few days ago Starcraft 2 started switching to desktop while I was playing. It happens about every few minutes. Other full screen applications might have the same problem, but I don't know this yet. Probably some application/notificaton is switching the game back to the desktop. In troubleshouting is stumbled upon this:

4TTEdyL.jpg

99% of the CPU appears to be used by unknown processes. The 99% does not seem accurate, because performance does not seem to be affected. What is going on? And how do I fix this?

Specs:

Windows 8.1

Motherboard: Asus M4a79T Deluxe (AM3, 790FX)

Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 965 Black Edition (3,4Ghz) (quad-core)

Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8 GB 2 x 4 GB - DIMM 240-pins - DDR3 - 1600 MHz / PC3-12800 - CL9 - 1.5 V

Graphics Card: MSI Lightning Boost Radeon HD 7970 3GB

I am running Windows Defender as my only AV (As recommended by Phillpower2 from this forum: "As an asides DeZiekeNon, are you aware that Windows 8 and 8.1 have an updated version of Windows Defender which offers the same real time protection as Microsoft Security Essentials so you don't actually need a 3rd party AV.").

Edited by DeZiekeNon, 16 January 2015 - 06:50 AM.

Advertisements

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Hi DeZiekeNon :)

Under Windows 8/8.1, the "Processes" tab of the Task Manager is pretty useless to find process names and their related information (CPU, RAM, Command, etc.). Is it possible for you to go under the Details tab, click once on the CPU column to order the processes by CPU usage (from the highest to the lowest) and then take a new screenshot that you'll post in your next reply? Thank you.

DeZiekeNon

DeZiekeNon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

cKMW4ES.png

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
These aren't legitimate svchost.exe processes as the the "Description" shouldn't be "svchost". I have reasons to think that you are infected with a malware, but I would like to confirm it first. If you right-click on one of the svchost.exe process that have "svchost" as the Description and select "Open File Location", where does it takes you? You can copy/paste the path from Windows Explorer in your next post or even better, add a screenshot.

DeZiekeNon

DeZiekeNon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

C:\Windows\Temp

This is not the System32 folder... :no:

BXvL9Fj.png

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
You're right, this isn't the system32 folder. To me you are infected. I'll ask you to get assisted by an expert in the Virus, Spyware, Malware Removal section for this issue. In order to get assisted there, you'll have to follow the instructions in the preparation thread, every single one of them. Once done, you'll be asked to post your thread in the section mentionned above.

Good luck with the removal procedure, you are in good hands with our skilled Malware Removal Helpers here :)

DeZiekeNon

DeZiekeNon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Will do. Thanks.