Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My computer may be infected with a bot [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

LiquidTension

LiquidTension

Expert

• Expert
  • 1,151 posts
Have you tried this link? If you have, what about the link I provided?

Advertisements

Mark Green

Mark Green

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Yea I am able to download the Norton Download Manager.  I downloaded the link you provided.  I will start with the Norton link you provided since that is the actual installation file.

LiquidTension

LiquidTension

Expert

• Expert
  • 1,151 posts
OK, sounds good! Let me know how you get on with the restore.

Remember to read the instructions carefully - especially the part on removing attached devices.

Mark Green

Mark Green

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Adam,

I completed the restore without any issues.   Turns out the factory settings did have MacAfee included (30 day subscription) so I didn't need to load AV from the USB drive.   I loaded all the updates and ran a scan.  I also have finished loading all of the Windows updates.  Thanks for your help.

LiquidTension

LiquidTension

Expert

• Expert
  • 1,151 posts

Hi Mark, 

I completed the restore without any issues.

Excellent. I'm very pleased to hear. 

Is there anything else I can help with? 

-------------

Nowadays, a multi-layered approach to your security solution is required to protect your computer from the latest threats in the wild. Many of today's attackers employ advanced techniques which involve sophisticated Backdoor TrojansRootkits and Bootkits to hide their presence on a computer. As such, I have compiled below a list of recommend software and resources that will assist in reducing the risk of reinfection.

CXrghb6.png Recommended Software
Consider installing some of the recommended programmes below to help reduce the risk of reinfection.

• xKsUqI5A.png.pagespeed.ic.vn1Hlvqi8h.jpg AdBlock is a browser add-on that blocks annoying banners, pop-ups and video ads.
  • E8I37RF.pngCryptoPrevent places policy restrictions on loading points for ransomware (eg. CryptoWall), helping prevent the execution of malware. 
  • x7D2ig3K.png.pagespeed.ic.x4TC1AK8OX.jpg Emsisoft Antimalware (free) acts as an additional on-demand scanner, and can be used in conjunction with your Anti-Virus. 
  • EG85Vjt.png Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit (MBAE) is designed to prevent zero-day malware from exploiting vulnerable software.
  • x6YRrgUC.png.pagespeed.ic.HjgFxjvw2Z.jpg Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium (MBAM) works in real-time along side your Anti-Virus to prevent malware execution.
  • xjv4nhMJ.png.pagespeed.ic.A5YbWn1eDO.png NoScript is a Firefox add-on that blocks the actions of malicious scripts by using whitelisting and other technology. 
  • 3O8r9Uq.png Sandboxie isolates programmes of your choice, preventing files from being written to your HDD unless approved by you. 
  • DgW1XL2.png.pagespeed.ce.v1OlJl_ZAS.png Secunia PSI will scan your computer for vulnerable software that is outdatedand automatically find the latest update for you.
  • xj1OLIec.png.pagespeed.ic.k6hhwopU0q.jpg SpywareBlaster is a form of passive protection, designed to block the actions of malicious websites and tracking cookies.
  • xsHjS79L.png.pagespeed.ic.n4Sk8_GzZn.jpg Unchecky automatically removes checkmarks for bunlded software in programme installers; helping you avoid adware and PUPs. 
  • xJEP5iWI.png.pagespeed.ic.4tmM1lM7DQ.png Web of Trust (WOT) is a browser add-on designed to alert you before interacting with a potentially malicious website. 

Setup on my Windows 8 machine:

• ESET Smart Security
  • Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium
  • Emsisoft Antimalware
  • Sandboxie
  • Secunia PSI
  • CryptoPrevent
  • WOT, Adblock & NoScript

Mark Green

Mark Green

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Thanks Adam for all your help.  Can't think of any other help I need at the moment.

LiquidTension

LiquidTension

Expert

• Expert
  • 1,151 posts

You're more than welcome, Mark. :)

Please confirm once more that you are happy for me to mark your topic as solved. 

---------------------------------

My help will always be free. But if you are happy with the help provided, and would like to support my fight against malware, please consider a donation. YSCcjW7.png

CALdreV.png Recommended Reading on Preventative Measures and How to Avoid Infection

Mark Green

Mark Green

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Thanks again Adam.  You can treat this topic as solved.

LiquidTension

LiquidTension

Expert

• Expert
  • 1,151 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.