Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer doesn't shutdown cleanly [Solved]

corupt member files references AMD

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

BrianDrab

BrianDrab

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,591 posts

Sounds good. I'm going to be turning in for the night but will check back first thing in the morning. Thanks.

Advertisements

annmeris

annmeris

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

I'l say good night.

Good morning.

It crashed,attached   

Attached Files

BrianDrab

BrianDrab

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,591 posts

Good Morning. OK, let's do this.

1. Download the Realtek drivers from here and save them to your desktop. (Edit: We will need to download them to a USB drive from your other computer and then copy to the desktop)

2. Right-click on the downloaded file named 0001-Install_Win8_8.1_8036_11242014.zip and select Extract All.

3. Click the Extract button.

4. A window will open showing the extracted folder named Install_Win8_8.1_8036_11242014. Open this folder.

5. Double-click the setup.exe to install the most recent drivers (version 8.036 dated 11/28/2014).

Once the install is done you should have network/internet connection again. Let's see if you get a crash again.

BrianDrab

BrianDrab

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,591 posts

Also I just want to confirm that the Memory.dmp file that you looked at had a date/time AFTER your last reboot. For example, in the memory.dmp file I see a date/time of Fri Jan 23 19:46:09.283 2015. That's 7:46PM so it really doesn't jive with what time you were doing this. I'm thinking we're not looking at a crash anymore but something else. Can you confirm?

annmeris

annmeris

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
After sending you the last dump. I plugged in the cable and had the Internet. There was no way of uninstalling the Realtek adapter. Never went to the end. Just locked up.
I have to pick up a dog and take her to San Diego today. I won't be home until afternoon. Let me know if you still want me to do the above. Or what else instead or before.
Thanks...Ann

BrianDrab

BrianDrab

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,591 posts

Forget the previous instructions and let's just take a step back and start with the following first. I'm not convinced a crash happened AFTER the last set of instructions I had you do.

1. Make sure Network cable stays unplugged if you are able.

2. What is the date/time is of the current c:\windows\memory.dmp file?

3. Verify that your machine is set to not reboot after a crash. That way you can actually see the error on the screen if this happens.

a) Right-click your Start button and choose System

b) Click the Advanced system settings link.

c) Click the Settings button under the Startup and Recovery section.

d) Uncheck Automatically restart under the System Failure section.

e) Click OK on the Startup and Recovery screen to accept the changes and exit.

f)  Click OK on the System Properties screen to exit.

DontRestartAfterCrash.JPG

Thanks.

annmeris

annmeris

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

I did as you instructed. Then I went to device manage and clicked on uninstall the reatek driver. no cable was plugged in before or after. I got back to my computer and a screen message was wait about collecting information and computer needed restart. I had no choice but to restart it. Yesterday'd dump was 1/23 at 11:28 am. the new attached dump was today 1/24 at 6:04 pm  BTW realtek is still there.

Attached Files

BrianDrab

BrianDrab

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,591 posts

Go ahead and do this now. Plug in your network cable and as you mentioned you will have internet access which is good.

1. Download the Realtek drivers from here and save them to your desktop.

2. Right-click on the downloaded file named 0001-Install_Win8_8.1_8036_11242014.zip and select Extract All.

3. Click the Extract button.

4. A window will open showing the extracted folder named Install_Win8_8.1_8036_11242014. Open this folder.

5. Double-click the setup.exe to install the most recent drivers (version 8.036 dated 11/28/2014).

Now see if a crash occurs. If a crash occurs you should see it on your monitor. Check the date/time of the memory dump and if it's new and around the time of the crash then analyze and post. Thanks.

annmeris

annmeris

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
From what I can see, it got hung up on the installation. That's happened on everything I've tried to uninstall or install, for the past few days. the dump attached was written after the restart. Also, the phantom network adapter, that installs ever time I try install or uninstall. the one that has the yellow flag. has the following (Driver Management has concluded the process to add Service akw8x64 for Device Instance ID PCI\VEN_168C&DEV_0034&SUBSYS_20031A56&REV_01\4&2A8B84C4&0&00E3 with the following status: 0.)Under events. I removed it once again. attached is the last dump.

Attached Files

BrianDrab

BrianDrab

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,591 posts

Please stop removing the device. Only follow the instructions I provide as it's complicating the process. Thank you.

So when trying to do the install it never finished? You say it got hung up. What exactly does that mean? Did the computer freeze and you had to power it off and on? Did the program just appear to stop installing?

Thank you.

Advertisements

annmeris

annmeris

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
It says installing, keeps spinning as though it is installing, but never finishes. Eventually shuts it's self down. The other network adapter that it keeps coming up with, must be the wireless. I tried the install again. Turned it on , went to device manager right clicked on the Realtek, and said search for the driver. It came up with the driver, it found the driver, like it , said it was working properly. Then I left the computer and it turned it's self off. The driver version is 8.36,826,2014

If you want me to send the dump analysis from this morning let me know. It says a device object is blocking an Irp for too long.

BrianDrab

BrianDrab

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,591 posts

The other network adapter that it keeps coming up with, must be the wireless

Correct. We uninstalled that previously on purpose.

OK, at this point let's get your drivers back on and updated. Please do the following. If any of them fail just continue on to the next one but let me know.

1. Download and Install this Intel Video driver.

2. Download and install this nVidia driver.

3. Download and install your wireless network drivers from here.

4. Download and install the Dell Realtek drivers again but from this location.

Let me know how it goes.

annmeris

annmeris

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
Before I do this you should know. It hasn't shutdown by itself! So does that mean, the drivers on Dell's site listed for my computer are wrong?

Wait: just went to the first one the Intel and it says the drivers in the computer are versions newer than these do you want me to overwrite. I said now an am wait for further instructions.

then Nvidia said the 3D vision controller installed on the computer is not compatible with this graphics driver and will be uninstalled, To use Nvidia 3D Vision you must install the latest 3D Vision control driver. I closed without installing. Waiting for further instructions.

Edited by annmeris, 25 January 2015 - 03:53 PM.

BrianDrab

BrianDrab

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,591 posts
Before I do this you should know. It hasn't shutdown by itself! So does that mean, the drivers on Dell's site listed for my computer are wrong?

Good! I suspected that the Realtek drivers on the Dell website were having the issue so I provided a link to newer drivers directly from Realtek.

So your machine is going to sleep now without crashing? If that's the case then I would only re-install the following wireless drivers.

Download and install your wireless network drivers from here.

Please let me know.

BrianDrab

BrianDrab

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,591 posts

Not sure if you got my previous post above so I'm sending this just in case.