Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

computer doesn't shutdown cleanly [Solved]

corupt member files references AMD

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

BrianDrab

BrianDrab

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,583 posts

I checked with some experts. Let's try this.

Try turning off hibernation.  There are reports that it can cause issues.

Step#1 - PowerCfg Report and Disable hibernation
1. Right-click on your Start button and select Command Prompt (Admin)
2. Answer Yes on the User Account Control prompt that comes up.
3. Type the following exactly and hit enter.
     powercfg /energy   <----note: there is a space before the forward slash
4. A file will be created named energy-report.html. It will be in the C:\Windows\System32 directory. Can you attach this file? If it won't attach you can post to SendSpace again and just provide a link.
5. Now type the following exactly in the command-prompt window and hit enter.
    powercfg /H off

6. Reboot your machine and let me know if it crashes while going to sleep.

Thank you.

Advertisements

annmeris

annmeris

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
https://www.sendspace.com/file/v7w5hn

had to move it out of system32

BrianDrab

BrianDrab

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,583 posts

That information was very helpful. Let me know if your machine crashes going to sleep again. Thanks.

annmeris

annmeris

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
It did. . Do you think NetGenie is causing the problem? Every time another device uses the network, it records it.

BrianDrab

BrianDrab

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,583 posts

Anything is possible. I'd like to try the following.

Step#1 - Re-Enable Hibernation and Override settings
3. Type the following exactly and hit enter.
    powercfg /H on   <----note: There is a space before the forward slash and before the word on.

4. Type the following exactly and hit enter. You can copy/paste as well to avoid typos. To paste into the command-prompt window, right-click the mouse and choose paste.

powercfg /requestsoverride DRIVER srvnet system

5. Type the following exactly and hit enter. You can copy/paste as well to avoid typos. To paste into the command-prompt window, right-click the mouse and choose paste.

powercfg /requestsoverride process wmpnetwk.exe system

6. Reboot your machine and let me know if it crashes while going to sleep.

Let me know please. I'm actually getting excited that this may work.

annmeris

annmeris

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
sorry it didn't work. it crashed.

BrianDrab

BrianDrab

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,583 posts

OK, go ahead and uninstall Netgear Genie. It solved the problem for others as indicated here.

http://www.eightforu...te_failure.html

annmeris

annmeris

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
This is a terrible day. My dog attacked my foster and she's in the hospital. I tired to uninstall netgear genie, it is out of the list in uninstall but it's still in my computer. I called netgear and they want more money for an extended warranty even though I have 14 days left on my warranty. I asked for a supervisor. they will call me in 5 hours. Needless to say I'm sick to my stomach. I have to pick up the foster in 2 hours. Do you know of a way I can remove the Neetgear Genie? if not can you ask around.
Thanks...ann

BrianDrab

BrianDrab

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,583 posts

I'm so sorry to hear that. You take care of what you need to. I'll be here.

If you uninstalled Netgear Genie from Add/Remove programs, that's what I would have had you do. If you are saying that it's still not uninstalled then I think you did the right thing by contacting Netgear. Hopefully they can assist you with this. You shouldn't have to purchase anything for them to help you if you still have time left.

Out of curiosity what makes you think that Netgear Genie is still installed?

annmeris

annmeris

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
Well I installed it 2 and 1/2 months ago. I have 14 day left on the router's support warranty. I also saw Netgear in one or more of the diagnositic tests. So I did what you did last night and came up with the same information. The think that really upsets me is, I told the first Netgear person the problem and he said they know they're working on fixing it. I'll get it out if I have to edit the registry. Find every reference to it and delete it. I'll back up the registry first. There must be some program I could run to find all the files. If you find one please let me know.
In the meantime let's assume netgear gets it out. Would you make a list and maybe links to everything we took out, so I can put back. Also we changed a setting to not allow shutdown. So the power button stays on even after the computer shut down. If you could let me know where I change it back.
Thanks...Ann

Advertisements

BrianDrab

BrianDrab

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,583 posts

Sure thing. Let's get everything set back the way it was. Let's start with these. Let me know when done. There are tools to search the registry but it's a very manual and dangerous process. It would be nice if Netgear would assist.

Step#1 - Put Back Settings
3. Type the following exactly and hit enter. You can copy/paste as well to avoid typos. To paste into the command-prompt window, right-click the mouse and choose paste.

powercfg /requestsoverride DRIVER srvnet

4. Type the following exactly and hit enter. You can copy/paste as well to avoid typos. To paste into the command-prompt window, right-click the mouse and choose paste.

powercfg /requestsoverride process wmpnetwk.exe

BrianDrab

BrianDrab

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,583 posts

Step#2 - Startup & Recovery - Set Back

You can also set this one back. Let me know when both are done.

1. Verify that your machine is set to reboot after a crash.

a) Right-click your Start button and choose System

b) Click the Advanced system settings link.

c) Click the Settings button under the Startup and Recovery section.

d) Check Automatically restart under the System Failure section.

e) Click OK on the Startup and Recovery screen to accept the changes and exit.

f)  Click OK on the System Properties screen to exit.

DontRestartAfterCrash.JPG

annmeris

annmeris

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
Hi Brian,
I'm feeling a little better about this. Netgear never called me back. I sent an email last night and still didn't hear from them. So I went to the computer this afternoon and searched on netgear genie. I found an install program and decided to re-install it. It stopped installing so I stopped it in task manager. While I was watching it. it reference different places it was installing files to. One was Users\ann000 etc. I went to the directory, I found netgear genie, I opened it up and there was an uninstall in that directory. I ran it, it said successful. I shut down the computer, restarted it. I walked away for a few hours. When I came back the screen was black and as usual the power light was still lite. I was sure it crashed. but tapped the enter key and the screen opened up. I don't know what is in the program to cause this to happen, but it did.
I did the first 2 steps above. And I think I'm ready to put back all the stuff we took out. Please send me the information and if possible the links to the latest files or drivers.
My Wireless isn't working, my printer isn't working.
Thanks...Ann

BrianDrab

BrianDrab

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,583 posts

Great news! Good Job! Can you tell me if anything in Device Manager has a yellow caution icon?

annmeris

annmeris

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
Nothing has a yellow exclamation point. But none of the adapters work. Not wireless, not Bluetooth. I can get on the Internet so the Ethernet works.