Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

'Up One Level' Button Picture Is Incorrect In Dialog Box

• Please log in to reply

Pepanee

Pepanee

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Hi, how come the button picture of 'Up On Level' shows like it could Still go up one level even when it reaches the end of the line on the Desktop? There's no more levels to go after reaching the desktop. Is this a just some unrecognized error in Windows 8 that no one really noticed? Why does this button appear like it could still be pressed, yet you cannot?

Please refer to the picture and get back to me.

Attached Thumbnails

• Picture.png

Advertisements

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
I just tried it on my computer running Windows 8.1 and it's indeed right. Who knows, it might be intentional. It's not like it matters at all anyway :P

Pepanee

Pepanee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Hmh.. It just looks unprofessional. Microsoft should be aware of it and fix it.

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Why? Its not really a big deal if you ask me. Its something that is present in a lot of programs, webpages, etc. Is your whole user experience affected by it?

Pepanee

Pepanee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

I'm just saying that it looks like something that should be visually fixed. I used to use XP and visually speaking, everything seems to have looked good and made sense. Assuming that it won't get fixed anytime soon shows me the lack of how much a company would care about perfecting their products. You don't want Microsoft to no longer do a good job when they release security patches to Windows, do you?

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
... I'll be honest with you, I'm a long time Windows user and I know pretty much everything there is to know on it. This is honestly the first time I ever notices that button and I'm sure I'm not the only one. It doesn't matter if a product isn't perfect, the human by nature isn't, so how can we create something that is perfect? If you want, I'm sure there's a way to disable that button in the registry if it bothers you. Personally, its not something I would be bothered about as it doesn't affect my user experience nor the "beauty" of the OS. Send them a email about it and ask them if they intend on fixing it. Otherwise, nothing else you can do.

Pepanee

Pepanee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

I completely understand your stance of the point, and that's how many people would also see it as. I'm not mad at you. I was just wondering if that's the way it is for other people, because this computer has been hacked before, and I wanted to make sure that others have this same thing. My hackers tend to cause this computer to have minor tiny glitches that are intended to annoy me, and this instance falls under that category. I appreciate you checking for me.

You're right though about the state of 'Perfect'. It doesn't exist since that is impossible because the factor of Time exists.

But what I was saying was the 'idea of perfecting' something. That is the attempt of making things that would go towards perfection, yet never becoming Perfect. So a fix for Windows 8.1 is to change the color of that button to a light gray, even though Windows 8.1 will not reach a state of Perfection with that fix, since there's other bugs in the operating system. Yet this fix would help the operating system reach towards a state of Perfection. I hope you understand what I'm saying here.

Anywho, I'd love to contact Microsoft about this, to see if they can fix it, if not, they can explain to help me understand why it stays as that color. I just like the idea of attempting to help make things look nice and make logical sense. What's their email address? 

Pepanee

Pepanee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Hehe, I found this picture of Windows XP's 'Save As' dialog, and I'll post it on here, just to help explain exactly what my problem was, since I was used to that button being 'grayed out' in XP. Here's a picture of the 'grayed out' button in Windows XP once you reach the Desktop:

Attached Thumbnails

• xp_saveas_db.gif

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Yeah I remember that button. Let's say that the two other buttons, <- and -> took over that one. But its still there for the people that are used to it I guess, even if it's far from being on the same spot. As for your other question about contacting Microsoft I would have to give it a look. I guess that on their assistance forum there's a "Contact Us" page with an email address you can write to for anything that regards Windows.