Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

i need some major genius here!

• Please log in to reply

guy4fly

guy4fly

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
So this problem just recently started out of no where. The computer doesn't properly log on to user accounts (it used to not log on at all) due to a "corrupt local file." i had some downloaded music so i deleted my program and all my music files ASSUMING that the corrupted local file was one of those. Now it will log me on but non of my desktop icons are showing up and neither is the bar at the bottom with the START thing on it! the only way i can use any program is opening up task manager with Ctrl + Alt + Delete. If ANYONE could help me at all it would be GREATLY appreciated!!

Edited by guy4fly, 11 June 2005 - 11:27 PM.

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
don't know if this works but worth a try
Restore Desktop
Let me know how you go
or I wonder if show desktop icons was turned off
right click on desktop > arrange icons by> show desktop icons

Edited by peterm, 12 June 2005 - 01:54 AM.

guy4fly

guy4fly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
do you know how to get to open RUN from the task manager becuase i dont have the bar at the bottom with the "START" button........oh and it wont let me right click at all on my desktop. It may still be putting me on a "temorary account" due to corrupted files and/or security settings. What do my security settings need to be? how do i change them under my conditions, and how could i find these "corrupted files?"

thanks!

Edited by guy4fly, 12 June 2005 - 11:39 AM.

SkyHi

SkyHi

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
Try going to your Task Manager and going to the tab labeled "Applications". Now on the bottom right, you will see "New Task...". Click on that and type 'explorer.exe' without the single quotes. If that doesn't bring anything up, try booting up into safe mode. You can find out how here:
http://service1.syma...src=sec_doc_nam

If you can boot into safemode and have things work correctly, we can probably troubleshoot further.

-SkyHi

guy4fly

guy4fly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
is that like INTERNET explorer cuz i dont have that..and when i tried it said that it didn't exist...so what is the point of going into safe mode...what do i do after i get there?

Edited by guy4fly, 12 June 2005 - 12:06 PM.

Guest_thatman_*

Guest_thatman_*
Hi guy4fly

How do I post a HijackThis .Log

Post your HijackThis.log Here

Kc :tazz:

MaverickSidewinder

MaverickSidewinder

• PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
explorer.exe is NOT internet explorer...its much more important.

If you can't access the desktop do this:

CTRL + ALT + DELETE

File > Run > explorer.exe

That should bring the desktop up...it happened to me once or twice and it worked.

:tazz:

Good Luck

- Maverick

Edited by MaverickSidewinder, 12 June 2005 - 02:35 PM.

guy4fly

guy4fly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
that worked and brought back all my icons and the bar at the bottom! but as soon as i log off...then log back on again, i have to do it all over. Does ANYONE have a permanent solution??

thanks for all the help so far! you guys are great!

Les1451

Les1451

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
Log in to the default administrator account : at the Welcome screen press Ctrl+Alt+Del twice, enter 'Administrator' as the user name and leave the password field blank.
You can now delete and recreate your user account or use System Restore to restore your settings back to before you deleted those files.

guy4fly

guy4fly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
there is no welcome screen, but when i FIRST try and log onto someone's account an error message pops up and it says there was an error or runtime something wrong with
C:\Windows\System32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
what is that, how do i fix this problem??

I really can't say how much i appreciate all this help from you guys! PLEASE help me fix this computer

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
When you use control alt del and start task manager then new task
this is the same as the run command so try what I said from there.
Do you have a windowx xp disc? It will be easier to just re extract
the explorer.exe file and restore. but you need to have either the disc or the cab files on your computer
OR
do you have restore turned on?

Edited by peterm, 13 June 2005 - 03:20 AM.

guy4fly

guy4fly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
yeah i do that and i restore it....but then once i log off, and later back on, it starts all over again..do you have a more permanent solution...p.s...i do not know if i have a disc...cuz im pretty sure i dont

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
How far back did you restore?
also startup and get your icons back as previous then go to my computer>
right click > explorer > this should give you a list of your computer drives
look under c drive do you have a folder called either windows xp or xp
we are looking to see if your cab files are on the computer

guy4fly

guy4fly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
har far back did i restore it? ...i have no idea what that means, and i dont GET this explorer thing. when i type into my task manager thing, new task > explorer.exe my desktop icons and stuff comes back and everything works...but as soon as i log off, its as if i didn't do ANYTHING...i don't know what a cab file is, and i dont know ANYTHING about computers. XP was installed on this computer by a family friend and so i dont have the disc, and i dont know the guy well enough to ask for help. i dont know how to TURN restore on or anything...my knowledge = mWord, and Netscape.... :tazz:

i'm sorry if ya'all are frustrated with me but i dont know exactly what ya'll mean when you tell me to do things, if you want to give up that is way understandable, i really appreciate all the help so far!

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
we won't give up on you
it's just a matter of us finding out how much you know about computers and
for us to come to a common Language.
Ok restore is a file your computer makes so if it is turned on you can go back to a point before your computer started to play up.
OK so we will take it step by step
1st one we try is when you start up the computer you should see a white bar running across the the bottom of the screen. When you see this start tapping the F8 Key (normally) at the top of the keyboard. This should bring you to a black and white screen with some options, such as Start computer in safe mode, Start computer in safe mode with network, One of these options is to start the Last known good configuration. Highlight these by moving down with the down arrow on your keyboard and hit enter.
This should then keep on loading.
Has this worked? Post back here if it has or has not worked, If not we will go to Step 2