Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

i need some major genius here!

• Please log in to reply

guy4fly

guy4fly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
um when i start up XP there is a little blue thing that goes across a bar under the XP logo. i tried hitting F8 during this time but it didn't work. When i first try to log onto an account, an error message comes up saying

An Eception occured while trying to run "nvcpl.dll,NvCplManageUserSettings 3"

don't know if that helped...lol

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,385 posts
did it say anything about hitting F8 when the bar was going across the screen?
Ok then lets try system restore
start up like normal and get your icons and start button back.
click on start > help and support > Pick a task > 3rd one down undo changes to your computer with system restore, click on this and it should have a screen with restore my computer to an earlier time.
put a tick next to this one click next it should then give you a calendar
where you should be able to pick a date before you started to have trouble.There are arrows at the top to help you go back

guy4fly

guy4fly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
hey i restored it back to like a week before all this happened....but nothing changed at ALL! :tazz: is that the last thing we can do to help the computer?
i really wish you were here so you could just pop in and fix it! but oh well! thanks for all your help so far!

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
you need to tap f8 sooner

ie, as soon as you turn your computer on, tap f8 when you see the splash screen (pc maker name) or memory counting up

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
this might help you get explorer back

http://www.trendmicr...DOOM.B&VSect=Sn

guy4fly

guy4fly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
So F8 worked and i restored my computer to the "last good..." thing and it STILL doesn't work! is there anything i can do short of just wiping the whole thing?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
did you try to get your explorer.exe back?

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,385 posts
don't wipe it yet
ok can you set up another user and see what happens
Don't try to log in as a user already on the system. make a new user

Edited by peterm, 15 June 2005 - 05:59 PM.

guy4fly

guy4fly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
how do i go about doing that?

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,385 posts
Ok get your start button back (you must be getting good at this)
then
To add a new user to the computer
When you add a user to your computer, you are allowing that individual to have access to files and programs on your computer.

The steps to perform this task differ depending on whether your computer is a member of a network domain or is part of a workgroup (or is a stand-alone computer).

My computer is on a domain

You must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group in order to complete this procedure. If your computer is connected to a network, network policy settings might also prevent you from completing this procedure.

Open User Accounts in Control Panel.
On the Users tab, click Add.
Follow the instructions on the screen to add a new user.
Notes

Add New User gives an existing domain user permission to use the computer.
You can only add existing domain users by using User Accounts. To add a new local user, on the Advanced tab, click the Advanced button. In Local Users and Groups, click Users, and then on the Action menu, click New User.
You should not add a new user to the Administrators group unless the user will perform only administrative tasks. For more information, click Related Topics.
My computer is not on a domain

You must have a computer administrator account on the computer to add a new user to the computer.

Open User Accounts in Control Panel.
Click Create a new account.
Type a name for the new user account, and then click Next.
Click Computer administrator or Limited, depending on the type of account you want to assign to the new user, and then click Create Account.
Notes

The name you assign to the account is the name that will appear on the Welcome screen and the Start menu.
The first user you add to the computer must be assigned a computer administrator account.
Notes

To open User Accounts, click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click User Accounts.
For more information about user accounts, click Related Topics.