Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need Help With Intel Turbo Boost

• Please log in to reply

Jeep4LifeRubi

Jeep4LifeRubi

• Pip
  • 3 posts

I have a I5-4670k, and according to Intel's specifications my cpu should have Turbo Boost 2.0. I have tested my cpu in Prime 95 max heat, and get around 60 degrees Celsius maximum. The core clock doesn't go past 3.4 Ghz,(It is supposed to Turbo Boost to 3.8) so I should have enough headroom for turbo boost to kick in temp wise. Also in my bios settings, under CPU properties It says that Turbo Boost is N/A, and it is greyed out. Do i need to get a bios update for turbo boost to be enabled, or am I just missing something? Thanks!

System Specs:

I5-4670k

MSI z87 G45 

GTX 760

256 Samsung EVO SSD

Advertisements

Jeep4LifeRubi

Jeep4LifeRubi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

I figured it out! I downloaded the Intel Extreme Tuning Tool, and it let me enable it from there!

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

always thought turbo boost was usually enabled by default in bios, and kicked in when running single core applications depending on power/heat so running something like prime 95 would make sure it NEVER kicked in because your using ALL cores at max. power and producing max. heat.

think it was originally designed for best performance when playing games, games used to always require a fast cpu (+ good gpu of course) but only used a single core of the cpu and why turbo boost only kicked in on single core applications.

never knew you could turn it on manually by software so it was always running on turbo boost even when running something that stresses the cpu to the max. like prime 95 unless i've miss understood your last post.

:popcorn:

i would look into a bios update if turbo boost says not n/a when using an I5-4670k too unless there is some other setting that is applied that negates the turbo boost setting in there.

see if this helps with the bios setting :- https://forum-en.msi...?topic=169702.0

Edited by terry1966, 18 January 2015 - 03:06 AM.

Jeep4LifeRubi

Jeep4LifeRubi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Yeah I think it is supposed to be enabled by default which is why it was weird when it wasn't enabled. On my processor it Turbo Boosts to 3.6 while running on all cores, and 3.8 while running on 1 core. It is 3.4 at stock without Turbo Boost. I had to enable Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Technology which allows the computer to adjust voltage and core frequency to enable turbo boost. I might have been able to do that in the bios, but I couldn't figure out a way. Thanks for the Reply! This forum is always so helpful!!