Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win 8 Laptop Mysteriously Shutting Itself Down (Resolved)

• Please log in to reply

britechguy

britechguy

• PipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Hello All,

I have a low-end Toshiba C55Dt-A5305 that has recently begun exhibiting a very odd behavior:  shutting itself down, but "gracefully," without any user intervention.

The Windows Update settings were initially fully automatic, so when this started I attributed it to updates having been applied that required a restart and that restart being done, but that's not it.  Since that time I've changed the setting to "download but let me choose when/whether to install" and then even to "check for updates, but let me choose whether to download and install" and it hasn't made one bit of difference.

When the machine shuts itself down it isn't "sudden death" like the old-style BSOD or an instant shutdown from overheating.  It seems to happen at random times, more often overnight than during the day, but it's sometimes when you're in the middle of something or when the machine is just sitting there, idle.

I really don't have the first idea of how to track down what might be causing this behavior.  Any assistance would be very appreciated.

Brian

Advertisements

britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Some additional data . . .

I guess the shutdown really isn't graceful, it's just been that I haven't been present to witness it when it occurs.  It isn't a BSOD, but it appears to be Windows 8's equivalent thereof.  Last night a black screen appeared with a message that I couldn't transcribe before the computer shut down.   I will await another because what I'm finding in the event logs doesn't match my memory of a detail or two from that message.

I have been running the NetWorx utility on this laptop for months before this instability arose, but the I am getting an occasional error, "A TDI filter (\Driver\networx) was detected.  This filter has not been certified by Microsoft and may cause system instability."   Has anyone ever had NetWorx cause this sort of behavior?  The same version is working fine on my Win7 laptop.

There is a consistent cluster of two "Error" events and a "Critical" event surrounding these shutdowns:

- a 6008 error telling me the "The previous system shutdown at [insert time here] on [insert date here] was unexpected.    [Not useful as this is already known.]

- a 1001, which is probably telling:  "The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck.  The bugcheck was . . ."  [if all details are helpful I will copy the entirety of one of these messages]

- a 41, "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first.  This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly." [which is also already known]

I still don't know what the solution to this issue might be, but it is becoming more frequent.

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts

Since no one jumped in the thread yet, allow me to jump in and give you a hand :) Is it possible for you to create a new folder, and copy in it the files present in C:\windows\minidump, then archive that folder in a .zip file and attach it to your next reply? Thank you.

britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Aura,

Your wish is my command!!   Just FYI, I've posted this same information to Bleepingcomputer.com and have someone suggesting I apply this Microsoft hotfix.  I have not done so yet.

Thanks so much for taking a look at this.

Attached Files

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts

Is it possible for you to link me your thread on BleepingComputer? Also, in the future, I suggest you to post only one thread on one forum. The reason is that if you post it on multiple forums, many helpers are going to jump in but no one will know what you do exactly and if you tried other solutions from another forum that could affect the troubleshooting procedure they want you to go through, alright? :)

britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Aura,

Here's the link to the thread with precisely the same title on bleepingcomputer.com.

I'm sorry, but I really am not willing to follow the "one forum only" suggestion.   My experience has been, on most occasions, that I will have radio silence in one location (or sometimes both) or else one forum where the thread actually brings out helpers while the other remains dead in the water.  This has been a real exception where it so happens that two people on two different forums have jumped in around the same time (and even that was after a second "bump" post on both forums).

I understand why this "gets tricky" in this instance, but this instance has been a real exception rather than the rule.

Edited by britechguy, 19 January 2015 - 11:03 AM.

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Alright I understand. I'll take a look at the minidump files once I get to my desk, but I'll take another look at them once I get home tonight since I don't have WinDbg installed and configured on my work laptop, but I do on my home desktop computer.

britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Aura,

Thank you again, very much.   I really do appreciate the assistance and the understanding about how I go about handling the really thorny issues.

As the original event messages clearly indicate, there are two separate things that are triggering the ungraceful shutdowns.  So far the advice I've received has focused solely on the bugcheck messages that have this code:

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck.  The bugcheck was: 0x00000133 (0x0000000000000001, 0x0000000000001e00, 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000). A dump was saved in: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id: 011915-19390-01.

The other that has shown up repeatedly is:

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck.  The bugcheck was: 0x0000007e (0xffffffffc0000005, 0xfffff8002792b12b, 0xffffd000b55961b8, 0xffffd000b55959c0). A dump was saved in: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id: 011815-20031-01.

with, of course, the date-time stamps varying but the hex parameter list staying precisely the same for each respective error.  There have not been any software installations on this laptop other than Windows updates in at least a couple of months, which is what makes all this all the more mysterious.   I also seem to be getting a repeated Windows Update for the drivers for our Canon MP250 printer drivers even though the update says it applied successfully.

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts

It looks like your BSODs are mainly caused by the atikmdag.sys driver, which is a driver related to an AMD graphic card. You should update your graphic card drivers to their latest version. Do you know which one you have or not? If you can give me the brand and model, and exact version of Windows, I can link you the right ones to download and install. If you don't know how to find such information, let me know and I'll tell you how.

britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Attached is the properties dialog driver tab for the AMD Radeon HD 8400 display adapter on this system.  The current driver is from April 2014, which doesn't strike me as out of date, but it could be.

Even though my account will remain logged in, I'm stepping away from the computer for somewhere in the area of 5 hours or more in a couple of minutes.   I'll take a look at this thread again when I finish showering but after that I'm offline for a while.  I don't want you to think I'm ignoring any post or posts over the next few hours.

Attached Thumbnails

• AMD_Radeon_HD_8400.jpg

Advertisements

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts

Graphic card drivers are usually updated every months, so if this one dates from April 2014 (which is now last year), I can tell you that at a point, it is "strongly" outdated :) May I ask you if you are running Windows 8 or Windows 8.1? Also, 32 or 64-bits?

Nevermind, I grabbed your laptop specs from here:

http://www.cnet.com/...0-gb-hdd/specs/

Here's the drivers for your graphic card drivers, they are APU drivers since you're running one.

http://support.amd.c...indows 8.1 - 64

Download and install the first package, AMD Mobility Radeon Driver. Select a "Custom (Advanced)" installation when asked, and make sure that every item in the list is checked before proceeding. Once the installation is done, restart your computer. From there, let me know if you get any more BSODs.

Edited by Aura, 19 January 2015 - 11:43 AM.

britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Thanks.  Am downloading now and will definitely try to run the install before I bolt.  Will definitely report back on the result (or the lack thereof).

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts

No problem. If you can, once the drivers are installed and the computer is rebooted, could you provide me a new screenshot of the driver window like you did two posts back? This way I'll be able to see if the drivers installed without any problems and if they are correctly detected by Windows.

britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Aura,

Here's the screenshot you requested.   I know that the new driver took just because the device is now named slightly differently.

I will post back once we've had a day or two for this to "percolate" unless I get a BSOD equivalent sooner.

Brian

Attached Thumbnails

• AMD_Radeon_HD8400-R3_Series.jpg

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts

The drivers are updated and well detected by Windows. All good for me. Let me know if you get any more BSOD, good luck! :)