Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Please help any advice apprecatied (Resolved)

system build new build first time

• Please log in to reply

jerodmichael

jerodmichael

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

im so confused right now I just want to curl up in fetal postion and cry ive taken so much in in the last two weeks i just don't know what to really go with

ive been swayed away from amd build been amd fan for years with great results

never owned a intel but sounds real great on benchmarks/reviews the battle between one or two gpu's ,

aftermarket cooler kills warrety so i don't want to jepordize that. am i gonna run too hot on stock, this is way harder to figure out than i originaly thought

Advertisements

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

don't get upset, just remember there is no wrong answers, just a difference of opinions,

the parts list in your build is good and will make you an excellent gaming pc, the fastest and best gaming pc for the money.

the parts list with and i5 cpu and 2x gtx 970's will also make you a great gaming pc but save some money.

the parts list with an i5 cpu and gtx 980 will make you a great gaming pc but will save you money.

the parts list with an i7 cpu and gtx 980 will make you a great gaming pc but will save you a little money.

the parts list with an i7 cpu and 2x gtx 980's will make you the fastest and best gaming pc but cost the most.

my personal choice is the same as yours, go with the i7 cpu and sli 2x gtx970's, and you won't regret it.

as to warranties and stuff, it's all total rubbish in my opinion and the tech's have to say that because it is actually legally binding, but in all honesty i've never ever had a problem returning a faulty part because i used an aftermarket cooler, and don't know anyone else who has either, ( if it's faulty then it will show up usually the first time you power on the pc and the seller will exchange it for you without question in my experience.) so will always use an after market cooler for my own personal builds because the cooler the better where electronics is concerned,

saying all that tho, no you shouldn't run to hot with a stock cooler at stock speeds, just a bit on the high side usually.

at the moment there is only one choice for performance and that's intel, yes amd will make for a great pc too, but intel is the current performance leader and by a big margin in benchmarks, as to actual use then i really don't think there's much in it, because all todays pc's have way more power than what people usually use, but there is definitely a small difference when it comes to heavy applications like gaming when the extra performance of intel will show up.

:popcorn:

Edited by terry1966, 20 January 2015 - 07:42 PM.

jerodmichael

jerodmichael

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Thank you for the response I think I will go with the i7 sli gtx 970 build will post pics of completed build thanks too all that took time to reply it has helped me more than you know

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

:spoton:

it's going to be a fantastic pc, way better than my own current system, so i'm totally jealous. :rofl:

i7 920, 6GB ram and a gtx275 graphics card, with custom water cooling, was top of the range at the time and still more than good enough today for me but still slow compared to your build. ;)

forgot to mention fitting extra case fans doesn't effect any cpu warranties at all and is in fact usually recommended depending on case and system cooling, only drawback is more fans then more noise. :D

Edited by terry1966, 20 January 2015 - 07:32 PM.

jerodmichael

jerodmichael

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Yeah I think I'm gonna add 3 fans on top thanks again for the insight

jerodmichael

jerodmichael

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Well I'm upgrading from my current build amd fx840t gtx 460 6 gb ram just starting too not enjoy current games

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

nice pc to start with, :thumbsup:

but your new build will blow it out of the water gaming wise. ;)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

A very good reply #17 from terry with the exception of the following;

as to warranties and stuff, it's all total rubbish in my opinion and the tech's have to say that because it is actually legally binding,

Just so that we are clear on this, we do not have to advise others of the potential to void warranties by using an aftermarket cooler rather than a stock cooler that may be supplied for use with any specific CPU, the reason is because it is 100% fact which is supported by excerpts from the warranty terms of both AMD and Intel + links to the full warranty terms and anyone that chooses to disregard the information does so at their own risk.

Consider the above the same when it comes to advising people on the limitations of OEM product keys for Windows, it would be reckless on our behalf if we did not ensure that people were fully aware of all of the CPU warranty terms and where the OS licence is concerned the legal implications of knowingly reusing an OEM product key.

jerodmichael

jerodmichael

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
I agree with you as I did decide to stick with stock cooler and add 5 more 120 mm fans 3 on top and 2 on bottom and and pcie double fan for my cards totaling 5 120 mm fans ; 3 140 mm fans and one pcie slot fan hope this keeps my pc nice and cool

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

i don't disagree with you phillpower about the warranties and letting people know about them, that still doesn't change the fact you emphasize them without actually mentioning the chances of have a cpu refused replacement because of using an aftermarket cooler are slim to none in reality.

millions of people prefer to use aftermarket coolers, and for very good reasons, yet still have never had a problem returning a bad cpu under warranty.

yes i agree it's up to the the op to choose, but the warranty thing is a non issue in my opinion and experience, like i've said i don't know of, or have heard about anyone who has had trouble returning a bad cpu because of using an aftermarket cooler.

so even tho i fully understand your viewpoint and concerns and why you always mention warranties, (and your advice is always great.) i'll still keep having a difference of opinion and say they are just fine to use if the op wants to. :D

Advertisements

jerodmichael

jerodmichael

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

if this setup don't  keep my pc at reasonable temps I will purchase a better cooling system

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

honestly it should be just fine,

the biggest reason for using an aftermarket cooler is if your going to overclock the cpu, and that is one thing i'd advise against for most people, the gains are not really enough in my opinion to risk frying the cpu and shortening it's lifespan for the extra little bit of performance people get.

do i overclock my systems then yes i do, do i overclock systems for other people then no i don't, i make sure i buy and fit the correct speed cpu for what they require of the pc in the first place.

jerodmichael

jerodmichael

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Check finally came :-) getting parts tomorrow can't wait Thanks again for all the advice. this forum has helped me alot

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Apologies for the late reply been inundated with work  :(

Slim to none is still not worth the risk even if it is someone elses $280 processor  ;) 

One such example of an Intel warranty being declined due to the claimant using a third party cooler here apparently if you do not tell Intel the truth there is a chance that you may hoodwink them but being honest people we wouldn't do that would we, some further info offered by an Intel rep here

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

took you this long to find a single refused rma then, only from 4 years ago too. :rofl:

just teasing you. ;)

this is intels warranty policy :- http://download.inte...yr_warranty.pdf

don't see where it mentions use of 3rd party coolers will negate the warranty anywhere.

is your out of date and they've changed things?

Edited by terry1966, 24 January 2015 - 04:22 PM.