Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Please help any advice apprecatied (Resolved)

system build new build first time

• Please log in to reply

jerodmichael

jerodmichael

• PipPip
  • 25 posts

this is the new build I Came up with http://pcpartpicker....od/saved/WxjLrH
My question is it decent for 4k streaming movies and for 4k gaming I mostly play mmorpg's and rpg's in genral I would also like to get my feet

wet in overclocking as I have never attempted this before I would be using hdmi 2.0 to a lg 55 inch 4k tv am I overkilling on any parts or maybe for a few more bucks can get something bettert im trying to stick around a 2500 budget after all my current pc is a amd phenom II x4 840t with gtx 460 6 gigs of ram
this will be a very big upgrade for me! thanks for all the opinions and advice given in advance I would like see feedback and better parts and maybe some budget parts
my check will be arriving Monday yeah which I will start the order process im really nervous as its my first build and with this kind of money I hope nothing goes wrong

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

:welcome:   jerodmichael,

Couple of pointers for you;

The CPU is overkill for a gaming rig as i7 CPUs are primarily used by CAD experts, games programmers and 3D modellers or professional video renderers, the i5-4690K is fine for gaming and can be OCd as it is unlocked.

Your aftermarket cooler, a very important thing I must make you aware of is that you do not need the additional heatsink and CPU fan and if you did use it you would void your CPU warranty both AMD and Intel are clear on this, see below;

AMD;

This Limited Warranty shall be null and void if the AMD microprocessor which is the subject of this Limited Warranty is used with any heatsink/fan other than the one provided herewith.

Full AMD article @ http://support.amd.c...earLimited.aspx

Intel;

damage to the Product due to external causes, including  accident, problems with electrical power, abnormal electrical, mechanical or environmental conditions, usage not in accordance with product instructions,  misuse, neglect, alteration, repair, improper installation, or improper  testing;

Full Intel article available @ http://www.intel.com/support/processors/sb/cs-009862.htm

Your choice of MB is ok but equally as good if not better is the ASUS Z97 - PRO which has onboard wireless so no need for an additional adapter, choice of merchants here

Try a single GTX 970 before going to the expense of purchasing two.

Also worth a mention are that you have no optical or mechanical hard drives listed + you have not included an OS such as Windows 7/8/8.1 64-bit.

An optical drive is beneficial when it comes to installing Windows.

An SSD is great for the OS and faster boot times but you should also include at least one 1TB HDD in your build for storing data only.

Unless you already have an unused OEM or full retail disk Windows product key you will also need to factor the cost of this into your build.

It is getting late here in the UK and I have an early start so going offline shortly but wii check back tomorrow.

TIP

To ensure that you receive notification of any reply to your topic please click on the Follow this topic tab at the upper right corner of the page. 

jerodmichael

jerodmichael

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

thank for the advice will one gtx 970 handle 4k movie streaming and moderate 4k gaming

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

might not be my personal choices for some parts but still a nice build that i wouldn't mind owning and will handle the extra requirements needed for 4k gaming no problems.

:popcorn:

jerodmichael

jerodmichael

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
http://pcpartpicker....od/saved/WxjLrH
Just wondering if this is a balanced build also is the version of the gtx 970 I picked the top one just want the best version of the 970 I can get

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

duplicate topic? :- http://www.geekstogo...ce-apprecatied/

yes it is a balanced enough build that should make you very happy.

fastest gtx970? really don't think it makes a difference any gtx 970 is a killer card, and you wouldn't notice the difference between the fastest and slowest gtx cards in my opinion, your personal choice is a good choice anyway.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday jerodmichael.

My critique of your build is going to be skewed as I am mostly against multiple GPU configurations, often unstable, generate a lot more heat, requires higher wattage PSU, MB needs SLI certification, +

Do you play specific games? do they support SLI?

What display are you going to use?   What resolution?

If you have a 60Hz monitor, even if you cards can generate 200 fps, only 60 fps are displayed. 

The i7 is overkill for a gaming rig.

8GB of RAM is enough, faster the 1600MHz, you will need to manually overclock, be prepared to spend time on this.

Using a cooler other than the one supplied with the CPU will void the Intel 3 year warranty.

Consider using a MB with integrated WiFi/Bluetooth. + i5 bundle, > http://cart.microcen...microcenter.com

Add a mechanical hard drive for Data storage.

GPU, single GTX 980,   

You have not listed an OS. 

jerodmichael

jerodmichael

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

thanks for the replies as I will be receiving my money today and will start ordering I will not need hdd as I already have two 1TB drive and also have optical driver also I do have a wireless card but was looking to upgrade I already own 8.1 OS as my  old computer will be used for parts the reason for the two gpu build is I will be viewing at highetst resolution I can with my 4k tv also 4k gaming at highest res possible with decent framerates I might even opt to pick up a third gtx 970 to futher enjoy this expercence

jerodmichael

jerodmichael

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
I'm somewhat computer literate but not up to date on new tech just want to be sure my parts are not gonna bottleneck

jerodmichael

jerodmichael

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Also I have a microcenter about 2 hrs away I will be buying most of if not all my components their I hate waiting lol :-)

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
I already own 8.1 OS as my  old computer will be used for parts

Please see my canned text below;

Unless your OS disk is the full retail edition you cannot use it with a new MB as an OEM disk is tied to the original MB it was paired with, to use an OEM disk with a new MB is software piracy and therefore illegal.

Exceptions to the above are 1: If your MB is replaced under warranty and 2: If your MB is replaced out of warranty with an alternative type but same brand due to the original model no longer being available, an upgraded MB however will require the purchase of a new OS licence. 

If you have a full retail disk and a product key that is not in use on another computer the OEM restriction/s is/are not the same.

Tip

If you have something to add while waiting for a reply use the edit tab – bottom right of the dialogue input box and this will ensure that no information that you provide is overlooked (this can happen if your topic has more than one page)  

jerodmichael

jerodmichael

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

no I did not know that thanks for the info I added 8.1 pro 64 bit to my list :-) I managed to find all parts at microcenter for just about 100's more if I were to have did parted out to cheapest retailers here is my final part list

http://pcpartpicker....od/saved/WxjLrH

now just waiting on check M.L.K Day delayed my check hopefully be driving down tomorrow and picking my parts up and then let the ventures begin

I also decided to wait on water cooler and see how factory cooler is going to work if I decide to put more fans on case will that void warrenty

Edited by jerodmichael, 20 January 2015 - 03:40 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Did you read the reply #7 of iammykyl!

Like myself he has advised that the i7 CPU is overkill, you will not gain any benefit from it and will be wasting your cash, the same goes for having 16GB of Ram.

I would also opt for a single GTX 980 as opposed to multiple GTX 970s and for the same reasons, GTX 980 Vs GTX 970 benchmarks here

Sack water cooling full stop and stick with good quality airflow type fans, add as many as you like as it will not affect your warranty in any way.

jerodmichael

jerodmichael

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

how will the 980 do with 4k gaming / movies

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

personally, i'd go the i7 and dual gtx970's route, :spoton:

unless you can afford dual 980's. :rofl:

if you want to build something bad-[bleep]... why not eh ?

http://www.guru3d.co..._review,23.html