Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

OS install problem

• Please log in to reply

kriz24

kriz24

• Pip
  • 2 posts
O.K. I built a new PC

Specs:

Power Supply: 450 Watt Echo Star
MoBo: Foxconn 661fx
Processor: 3.2 P4
RAM: 2 sticks of 512 DDR 400MHz
Video Card: Gforce fx 5200
HDD's: 120GB ATA/133 Maxtor (DiamondMax )
250GB Enhanced IDE Western Digital (WD Caviar SE)
DVD-RW: Pioneer 4X DVD-RW (A06)
Lite-on 16X dual layer DVD-RW
Cables: Ultra ATA 133 cables

Problem:

When trying to install any OS, the system crashes. It does start the install and it crashes at different pionts during. I'm trying to install on a Maxtor 120 gb hdd, which is a few years old. I have a few other hdd's, but they're in other systems and have data on them. They are around 30 GB. I really don't want to rip them out unless necessary. Also one of the 512 sticks I bought from crucial and is a few years old. I have 2 128 sticks of ddr not in use, which could be swapped.

I'm thinking it is either an hdd issue or a ram problem, but a friend said it sounds like it's overheating. The foxconn mobo and the 3.2 P4 processor were sold in a combo deal. The processor came with a heat sink and fan. I would imagine that they would cool it propperly. I'd like to get some more opions before taking the time to fix it, as my spare time is very limmited.

Edit: Almost foregot. If I leave the pc run for a few minutes it freezes. Doesn't matter if it's in the bios menue or dos.
Thanx

Edited by kriz24, 12 June 2005 - 12:30 AM.

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
have you jump switched the drives to be master with slave and slave

kriz24

kriz24

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
yep and cables are in the correct order as well

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
next i would try taking out 1 of the ram chips and whilst you have it open disconnect the second drive and jumper the other drive to master