Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Start Menu is off the screen!

• Please log in to reply

MrNotknowitall

MrNotknowitall

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have an Athlon 1.16 running XP and I just finished reformatting the C drive and loading XP back on my machine. And now my screen is messed up. I'll attempt to explain...the task bar and start button are down below the bottom of the screen so you can't see them. I know its there because I can move my mouse down out of sight and when I click, the start menu pops up. When I open new windows they always appear bigger than normal and 75% off the screen down and to the right. I have tried every resolution option there is, I've scoured the many different options, buttons and tabs with no success. and yes...I did try cursing at it. Does anyone know what the problem is.
Did reformatting the comp make the whole screen shift down?

thanks in advance

Advertisements

mohsin

mohsin

• PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
dear try to adjust screen resulotions or from monitor may be thats the problem ..

reply thn

MrNotknowitall

MrNotknowitall

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
oh why didn't I think of that?? wait a sec...I did. thats not it. any other ideas? I'm trying to download a driver now.

mpfeif101

mpfeif101

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,411 posts
The drivers might be the problem, though it is probably that your screen is just off center and needs to be adjusted by using the buttons on the monitor.

Les1451

Les1451

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
For the off-centre window : open Windows Explorer, drag the window to its' full size correct position, then close it. The next time you run Explorer it should open maximised and centred.

For the taskbar problem : Start > Control Panel > Taskbar and Start Menu.
Make sure auto-hide is off (unchecked).

Hope this helps.

MrNotknowitall

MrNotknowitall

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
no, its not the screen adjustment buttons on the monitor, that was the first thing I tried. and its not the resolution nor is it the auto hide not being checked. I've tried uninstalling the video card and downloading drivers for the monitor (dell P780) and nothings working...my next move is buy a new monitor...my patience is wearing thin.