Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Viewing deleted history on Chrome

• Please log in to reply

Me_69-9

Me_69-9

• PipPip
  • 41 posts

Windows 7 OS.

Can it be done?  I recently had issues with a browser hijacker and after removing the hijacker I deleted the history.  However I would now like to check it.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts

Hi Me_69-9 :)

As far as I know, there's no way to recover elements you deleted from your web browser. What you could try to do is that, if you're not connected yet to your Google account on Chrome, you could try to connect to it in a hope that it's going to sync your history to that Chrome installation. Other than that, the article below explains that be analysing the .dat file of Chrome, you could recover the history:

http://setuix.com/re...me-web-history/

However, they recommend a program from a website/company I don't know of so I wouldn't recommend using it. It might be true that you could recover data from a .dat file using a special software, but it might just be a way to make you download and use a program no one knows of as well. Keep in mind that what is deleted can rarely be restored, except in some special occasions when certain conditions are met.

Good luck.

Edit: May I ask you how you removed the browser hijacker?

Edited by Aura, 19 January 2015 - 02:42 PM.

Me_69-9

Me_69-9

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

http://setuix.com/re...me-web-history/

Edit: May I ask you how you removed the browser hijacker?

I got help right here in the Malware section.  It was Vosteran.  I used MalwareBytes and the AdwCleaner.

Systenance doesn't work with Windows 7 unfortunately.

http://systenance.com/indexdat.php

Edited by Me_69-9, 20 January 2015 - 04:54 AM.

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
If the quarantine folders of Malwarebytes and AdwCleaner weren't cleaned, there's a small chance that the Chrome history file might be located there. For AdwCleaner, it should be in []C:\AdwCleaner[/b], while for Malwarebytes it's in C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\Quarantine.

Me_69-9

Me_69-9

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

I heard something about dat file analysers but I'm trying to find one that won't download more malware with it and go full-circle..

Edited by Me_69-9, 20 January 2015 - 09:46 AM.

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Did you try to log back into your Google account on Chrome and see if your history was being sync'd back?

Me_69-9

Me_69-9

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

I'm logged into Google, how do I do that?

Edited by Me_69-9, 21 January 2015 - 02:40 PM.

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Your data should be sync'd automatically starting the second you log in your Chrome account. Give it a few minutes and see if your history appears.

Me_69-9

Me_69-9

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

I'm logged into my Google account, is that the same thing?

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Yes, I'm the one who got confused in my words. You need to login on Chrome using your Google account, my bad.

Advertisements

Me_69-9

Me_69-9

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Do I do that here?

https://www.google.c...rome/index.html

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Here's how to log into Chrome with your Google account, as well as what you'll get from doing so:

https://support.goog...er/185277?hl=en

Me_69-9

Me_69-9

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

I completed step one and I get to the 'Google+' screen showing all my recently watched YouTube videos, however I do not see the link mentioned in step two.

To sign in to Chrome on your computer, follow these steps:

1. In the top-right corner of the browser window, click the button with your name or email address.
  2. Click Sign in to Chrome.
  3. Sign in with your Google Account.
  4. You'll see a welcome note with your name. Click Settings to customize your sync settings. This lets you choose what information will be shared across other devices where you're signed into Chrome.

Edited by Me_69-9, 22 January 2015 - 12:24 PM.

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
When you go in Settings under Google Chrome, do you see your account logged in at the top, or does it asks you to login?

Me_69-9

Me_69-9

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Okay I figured how to log into Chrome.  Still no luck on deleted history though.