Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

power management only shows do nothing or shut down (Resolved)

• Please log in to reply

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
The 1st Unknown Device is Power4Gear Hybrid Utility: http://dlcdnet.asus....n7_64_Z1142.zip

The 2nd Unknown Device seems to belong to an "HP Brother HL" printer, do you have one?

And the WD SES Device USB Device seems related to a Western Digital external HDD or peripheral, do you have one?

Advertisements

bigdogalex

bigdogalex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

after downloading the first a Power4Gear widget appeared.

Went to device management after restating and the three devices were still there.

Yes I do have a HP Brother printer that seems to be operating OK

I also have the WD External HD - My Book. Again is working.

Edited by bigdogalex, 22 January 2015 - 03:07 PM.

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Looks like I found the drivers for the 1st device, "ATKACPI driver and hotkey-related utilities". Makes sense.

http://dlcdnet.asus...._64_z100007.zip

The 2nd Unknown Device will dissapear once you install your printer drivers using it's installation DVD, or downloading them from the web. Same for the Western Digital HDD.

bigdogalex

bigdogalex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Everything has disappeared. THanks

I seem to have another problem that I don't know if it is related. My computer is missing 49 Microsoft updates. When I checked the Windows Update section, the settings indicated the it was set to Instal updates automatically. Clicking on Check for updates  the message given was -

Windows updates cannot currently  check for updates, because the service is not running. You may have to restart  your computer. Shutting down several times did nothing.

Also, probably unrealated - Tried to install Turbo Tax. Said to install this program you must first install latest version of .NET Framework v4.0. Downloaded this file. Installed it and got message "NET Framework has not been installed with this error code

HRESULT Oxc8000247. Tried different suggestions from internet and had no results.

I'm beginning to think I should just do another fresh install from my disk. Didn't have any of these problems before reinstalling Windows

Edited by bigdogalex, 23 January 2015 - 10:44 AM.

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
It's up to you if you want to reinstall Windows. I'm ready to keep on assisting you if you wish.

bigdogalex

bigdogalex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
From what I've described, does it sound like they're problems that are collectable?

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Sorry, what do you mean by "collectable"? English isn't my native language, so I don't understand every expressions yet.

bigdogalex

bigdogalex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
English is mine, but I guess I need a typing lesson. I meant correctible!!

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Oh haha :) Of course they are correctible!

EndqYRa.pngSystem File Checker (SFC)
Follow the instructions below to run a SFC scan on your system:
  • On Windows Vista & 7, click on the Windows Start Menu, then enter cmd in the search box, right-click on the cmd icon and select Run as Administrator
  • On Windows 8, drag your cursor in the bottom-left corner, and right-click on the metro menu preview, then select Command Prompt (Admin);
  • On Windows 8.1, right click on the Windows logo in the bottom-left corner and select Command Prompt (Admin);
  • Enter the command sfc /scannow (there's a space between "sfc" and "/scannow") and press on Enter;
  • Let the scan run until the end (100%), then copy/paste in your next reply the message that is returned after;

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Hi, just to add, please also remember that if you were to try a reinstall of Windows, you would be back to where you started at the start of this thread and needing to find and install all the drivers again. Better to carry on and hopefully fix things as they are!

Nev.

Advertisements

bigdogalex

bigdogalex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Will only reinstall as a last resort.

Got this message after scan

Windows Resource Protection found a few corrupt files but was unable to fix them

Details are included in the CBS.Log\windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log

[Had a few problems using cut and paste. Tries attaching file instead .]

Attached Files

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Alright. If you restart your computer and try to install the Windows Updates, is it working or not?

bigdogalex

bigdogalex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

After shut down and restarting got the same message - Windows updates cannot currently  check for updates, because the service is not running. You may have to restart  your computer. Shutting down several times did nothing.

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Alright, let's clean the Windows Updates download store and try it again.

Click Start
Type: cmd
Right click on cmd in start menu and select 'Run as Administrator'
Type: net stop wuauserv
Hit Enter
Type: ren c:\windows\SoftwareDistribution softwaredistribution.old
Hit Enter
Type: net start wuauserv
Hit Enter
Type: exit
Hit Enter

Source: https://answers.micr...44-eaaee17491cf

bigdogalex

bigdogalex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Did as instructed. Shut down and restarted. same message. Checked out link included in your reply and found the section on Intel rapid storage drivers. Unfortunately i couldn't figure out where those drivers were in Device Manager