Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows 8

• Please log in to reply

ginnyjoe

ginnyjoe

• PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

My cousin brought me her son's laptop. It is an Asus Altek Winows 8. How do I find the factory restore. I can't seem to get it and they don't have a disk nor did they create one. It is very difficult to even work with it as it takes forever to load. I would appreciate any help. Thank you

ginnyjoe

Advertisements

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Hi ginny :)

Most recent laptops and computers now have an in-built "Recovery" partition on their drive that allows you to do a Factory Reset on a system, using the manufacturer image present on that partition. For ASUS laptops, under Windows 8, simply follow the instructions listed on their website here (they are clear, simple and straight):

http://www.asus.com/...rt/FAQ/1006133/

If you have any problem with the process, let me know and I'll assist you further.

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts

Hi, You could find a button as a factory restore in sony laptop but in your laptop we can't make so best visit a service center...

It's too soon to speculate that there's no in-built Factory Restore option in that laptop. Also, the point of asking for assistance online is to avoid going to a service center and paying a ridiculous amount of money for something you can do yourself ;)

ginnyjoe

ginnyjoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

I finally got into the system. When I go on the charm and change pc settings there is no general tab on this computer. What I have is update and recovery. That brought me to remove everything and reinstall Windows. I click get started but nothing happens. I will keep trying, this is such a good instruction if i could get the the computer to cooperate.

Edited by ginnyjoe, 23 January 2015 - 10:23 AM.

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Considering the slowness on the computer, maybe the instruction was sent, but not processed yet. Do it once more, and give it time, see if it starts the process.

ginnyjoe

ginnyjoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

I finally was able to get it going. Then it comes back and says "there was a problem resetting your PC. No changes were made. So then I tried again and again got the same message.

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Can you try the "Refresh" option instead (just above the one you tried to use) and see if it succeed?

ginnyjoe

ginnyjoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Ok tried that also and got basically the same message. I then did check for solutions to this problem and nothing comes up.

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Disk Management Utility
Follow the instructions below to open the Disk Management Utility:
  • For Windows 8, bring the cursor in the bottom left-corner of the screen and wait for the metro preview to op;
  • Right-click on it, and select Disk Management
  • Open the window to its full size, then take a screenshot of it and attach it to your next reply;
How to take a screenshot using the Snipping Tool
Follow the instructions below to take a screenshot using Windows' Snipping Tool:
  • Press on the Win Key + R to open the Run box;
  • Enter SnippingTool and press on Enter;
  • The Snipping Tool will open, asking you to choose the area to take in the screenshot;
  • Left click on the area where you want to start the screenshot, keep it, and drag the cursor across the screen;
  • Once done, release the left button to take the screenshot;
  • In the editing window, click on the File menu then Save As;
  • Save the screenshot in a folder that you can access easily;
  • Once done, attach that screenshot to your next reply;

Edited by Aura, 23 January 2015 - 12:50 PM.

ginnyjoe

ginnyjoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

I had to restart the computer and have not been able to get back in the system since. I am still trying. I also sent an email to ASUS hoping they can tell me where to buy a recovery disc. I don't hold out much hope for that but if you don't try then it is impossible. I got into the Disk management utility once and it said everything was healthy. When I tried to do the snipping tool is when I had to restart.If I get back in I will take a picture and attach it from my computer and send it that way. Hope that it will work. Thanks again for the help.

Advertisements

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
No problem ginny. And I think you have to buy a Recovery DVD online, from their website. Usually, you go on your computer/laptop page on the manufacturer website, and the option to get a Recovery DVD should be there.

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
johnnie I don't understand what you're trying to tell me here, can you rephrase that please?

ginnyjoe

ginnyjoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

I got a hold of asus and was told there is no recovery disk for a restore. I told my cousin she will have to bring it in. Thanks for all your help.

ginnyjoe

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
No problem ginny, glad that your were able to solve your issue :)

Simpalm

Simpalm

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Latest laptops and PCs now have an in-constructed "Recuperation" segment on their drive that permits you to do a Factory Reset on a framework, utilizing the producer picture introduce on that parcel. For ASUS laptops, under Windows 8, basically take after the directions recorded on their site here. SIMpalm.com