Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Antivirus Slowdown

• Please log in to reply

Wepynx-old

Wepynx-old

• PipPip
  • 31 posts

Question, I have a friend that can't afford an upgrade at this time, and he's running a computer with 2gb RAM and he installed Avast Free but it takes his browsers a long time to load and open to the homepage. He's looking for a free AV that won't slow him down. Are Panda Free, Bitdefender Free or 360 Internet Security worth the time to check out, or do you have any recommendations ? Thanks.

Advertisements

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Hi Wepynx :)

Of all the Antivirus products you listed, Panda Free Antivirus would be the best one considering the RAM installed on the system. Panda Free Antivirus, being a Cloud-based Antivirus will take a minimum of resources on the system, leaving them free for other tasks and processes. Personally, this is what I go with when I have to install an Antivirus on a computer that have less than 3GB of RAM. What version of Windows is he running?

Wepynx-old

Wepynx-old

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Hi Aura, I'm not really sure of the OS he's running but if I had to take a guess by the amount of RAM he's got, I would say an old XP. He's been out of work for awhile and can't afford an upgrade of any sorts at the moment. That's why I'm trying to help him out.

andrewmike

andrewmike

• Pip
  • 1 posts

I recommended to use panda security antiivirus.. If you got any slow downl problem please below points

Before we start troubleshooting the problem, there are 2 things to clarify
1.- If you already have Panda Antivirus Pro 2014 installed, why did you install Panda Cloud Antivirus? Having more than one antivirus installed at the same time is never recommended, what is more I don't understand how did you manage to install both as when installing any of them it will detect the other to be installed and will ask to uninstall it
2.- PNMDiag tool is only for troubleshooting issues caused by Consumer firewall product issues. Did you install Panda Antivirus Pro 2014 Firewall?

Sumarizing, your license is for Panda Antivirus Pro 2014, so, please uninstall Panda Cloud Antivirus if it's still installed
Uninstall as well PNMDiag toll as you are not having any issue caused by Panda Antivirus Pro 2014 Firewall protection

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
andrew, I have no idea of what you are talking about since Wpynx isn't in the situation you described. "If you already have Panda Antivirus Pro 2014 installed, why did you install Panda Cloud Antivirus?" Where does he mentions that have Panda Antivirus Pro 2014 installed? Where did he mentions that he have Panda Cloud Antivirus installed? No where. I don't think you read the first post correctly, or you misunderstood it.

Wepynx-old

Wepynx-old

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Thanks again Aura, Andrew sort of had my head spinning too.  :confused:  :)  

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Yeah I had to move on the computer to read his post and then re-read yours because I was a bit confused :P No problem Wepynx :)

Wepynx-old

Wepynx-old

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Well thanks for your help. I'll give him your suggestion. The reason I mentioned Bitdefender Free was because when I was running on low specs, it worked pretty good but not great, and all I hear is about 360 Security, but I'm not too sure about that one. See you around Aura, if you think of anything else, I'll be around. :spoton:  :spoton:  

softwaredevelopment

softwaredevelopment

• Pip
  • 1 posts

I have never experience or never heard that avast free antivirus has caused browsers to slow down. I think you should check for other options as Avast is a very light weight and no problem causing software.

greyowl

greyowl

• Pip
  • 6 posts

I am using Avast Free with an old laptop with a 1.6ghz processor, 1GB RAM, and XP. 

It runs fine but I have been considering Panda Free because I have heard that it is very light.

Advertisements

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Looks like you're the same greyowl as this one:

http://www.bleepingc...for-old-laptop/

And yes, Panda Free Antivirus is more light-weight than avast! Free. If you could add at least 1GB of RAM to that computer, it would be better.

greyowl

greyowl

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Actually, I think I have a 512mb of RAM somewhere that I could add if I can find it.

On another forum, someone mentioned that Qihoo 360 runs very light on low spec computers, but I'm not sure if he added the optional Avira and Bitdefender engines.

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Qihoo 360 is a good choice, however some people are suspicious of it due to being of Chinese origin and I think they were caught in some controversy not a long time ago. Not sure.

greyowl

greyowl

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Yes, I have heard of this. 

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Oh and yes, adding the extra 512MB of RAM to that computer/laptop will definitely be a good thing.