Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Drive locked

• Please log in to reply

Lee56

Lee56

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Trying to reinstall windows 8.1 on my acer aspire az1620-ew30p and I get the message drive where windows is installed is locked unlock drive.  So how can I do this? This happens with the Windows 8.1 installation disk.

Edited by Lee56, 24 January 2015 - 07:43 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

:welcome:   Lee56,

Apologies for the late response to your OP  :(

You have said that you are trying to reinstall Windows 8.1 on your computer, can I ask why it needs to be reinstalled as in were you having problems with the present installation/or the computer in general etc.

Additionally can I ask if the computer originally had Windows 7 Home Premium as the OS and what type of Windows 8.1 disk do you have, a full retail or OEM disk, a downloaded ISO or a copy that you created yourself.

TIP

To ensure that you receive notification of any reply to your topic please click on the Follow this topic tab at the upper right corner of the page. 

Lee56

Lee56

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

For some reason my computer won't start up and I don't know why. So I thought maybe reinstalling windows 8.1 might do the trick but it only goes so far and then says the drive where windows is installed is locked and says unlock the drive but I don't know how to. If I can unlock the drive I might be able to get my computer back up and running. Any help on how to do this would be appreciated. Also sorry for taking so long to answer back. Thanks! Oh and yes it originally had windows 7 Home premium, and I have the full retail 8.1 which I purchased.

Edited by Lee56, 14 February 2015 - 11:07 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Check and if necessary change the boot sequence so that it is set to DVD drive first and the HDD second then try the following;

1. Boot up from your Windows 8.1 disk.
2. Don't click 'Install Now', click Repair Your Computer.
3. Click Advanced Options.
4. Click Other Options.
5. Click Diagnose my PC.
6. Wait for your computer to reboot.

Let us know how it goes.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Not heard from you for a while Lee56, can you update or conclude your thread for us and not leave it hanging, thanks.