Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Building a Dota 2 PC

• Please log in to reply

IceAndPopcorn312

IceAndPopcorn312

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

I'm building a PC for Dota 2, and I saw this on Reddit. I feel like it's a bit outdated though, and I was wondering if I could get a more modern build, for around the same price and any part changes neccessary.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,764 posts

Hello IceAndPopcorn312,

It would appear that your intended link is missing, can you try again for us.

TIP

To ensure that you receive notification of any reply to your topic please click on the Follow this topic tab at the upper right corner of the page. 

IceAndPopcorn312

IceAndPopcorn312

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Lol, so I did... http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ZGd9GX

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,764 posts

Not all parts on your list are available but based on the intended selection there are a couple of things to mention;

The PSU is not powerful enough as the HD7770 requires a minimum of a 450 Watt power supply

The case and MB have no USB 3.0 ports and so is a step backwards.

The MB has no Crossfire or Sli option + it is the smaller micro ATX type which can be tight for space with add on video cards and memory sticks that have heat spreaders.

There is no OS such as Windows 7 64-bit on the list, unless you already have an unused OEM product key or a full retail product key that is not in use on another computer you will also need to purchase one of these at a cost of around $90 - unless you are going to be using a Linux OS that is.

NB: You can get cheaper DVD drives btw.

Tell us your maximum budget and let us see what we can put together list wise.

IceAndPopcorn312

IceAndPopcorn312

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Like I said, I know the list is outdated, which is why I brought it here for an updated build. Basically, I just want the cheapest possible system build to run Dota on maximum graphical settings, at 60 fps. As far as peripherals and monitors go, I'll look into those personally. For OS, I'm going to get Windows 7

Edited by IceAndPopcorn312, 25 January 2015 - 06:33 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

An actual $$ budget would have been appreciated. the CPU and GPU are almost impossible to find, so prices based on the last current ones I could find.   Your parts list stands at $285 + G860 $85. + Powercolor Radeon HD 7770 $125 = $495. 

I just want the cheapest possible system build to run Dota on maximum graphical settings, at 60 fps. 

achieving 60 fps on max settings will depend on the resolution you play at.  Please read the whole of this review > http://www.tomshardw...hmark,3481.html   I have also looked at some  other material.   this is the hardware I would use.

http://pcpartpicker....parts/partlist/

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,764 posts

Thanks for the additional support and information iammykyl  :thumbsup:

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Glad to help Phillpower2, hope we get a response from IceAndPopcorn312.

IceAndPopcorn312

IceAndPopcorn312

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Yea, sorry about the lack of a specific number, but I wasn't really sure how much it'd run. I actually found a different build that my friend came up with, but I appreciate the help nonetheless

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

OK.   Thanks for the update and good luck with your build.