Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 boot significantly slowed down (SSD) (Solved)

• Please log in to reply

Balkhand

Balkhand

• PipPip
  • 17 posts

I'm using a Samsung 840 PRO 256g SSD and have loved it for the year I've had it so far. I would have boot times of like 10 seconds. But starting this week it has slowed to a halt. Taking 2-3 minutes to boot. It seems to hang on the "Starting Windows" part of the boot for most of the time, and then sometimes it'll go past the "Starting Windows" part quickly, and then hang on a black screen. I've done a windows update this week, I installed a new update from Nvidia for the graphics driver. I unistalled the driver and used a driver cleaner and reinstalled and that hasn't changed anything. This is the only time I experience problems though. Once I'm on my computer, everything seems normal. 

Thanks.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

Sounds like something trying to start at boot time. Follow this MS article to see if you can figure out what is causing it:

Perform a clean startup to determine whether background programs are interfering with your game or program

Balkhand

Balkhand

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Thanks Ztruker

Balkhand

Balkhand

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

It gives me a list of programs that I don't want to run at startup. Should I uncheck them all? 

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.' While Ztruker if offline I will stick my oar in.

The "clean boot" is meant to isolate possible problem programs interfering with your startup. 

Did you perform all the steps? did you find any programs that slow down or halt the startup?

​Some programs that you would not think important,  need to run at startup, Adobe Reader is one because it is constantly under attack by hackers and as vunrabiloities are discoved, security updates are released.

Please give a list of the programs you wish to stop running at startup.

Balkhand

Balkhand

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Yes. I did it. I stopped all programs from starting at startup. Problem is still persisting.

I am not sure what I should and should not have starting at startup. I am not partial to anything. I built this computer last year, but I am not the most savvy sofware wise. I had just noticed that this started happening this week. 

Thanks for reply.

Edited by Balkhand, 25 January 2015 - 05:17 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Yes. I did it. I stopped all programs from starting at startup. Problem is still persisting.

Answer,  That would indicate that a startup program is not causing the slowdown

I am not sure what I should and should not have starting at startup. I am not partial to anything. I built this computer last year, but I am not the most savvy sofware wise. I had just noticed that this started happening this week. 

Answer.   Please leave the present startup list as it is, changing it could make a difference to other troubleshooting results.   The list can be looked at later to see where performance improvements can be made.

Thanks for reply.

I've done a windows update this week, I installed a new update from Nvidia for the graphics driver.  

Answer.   Please read this first, > http://www.sevenforu...all-update.html   Do steps 2 or 3, then go to step 5.

Uninstall the updates you did last week, restart.   Any improvements?

Run your virus scanner.

Download Malwarebytes free, (on demand scanner) and run it. > https://www.malwarebytes.org/   Caution.   Do not install any other 3rd party software that is offered. 

Thanks.

Balkhand

Balkhand

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Answer, 

Thanks for reply.

did I miss something?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Sorry, a little hiccup with the editor. please read reply #7 again. 

Balkhand

Balkhand

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Sorry, a little hiccup with the editor. please read reply #7 again. 

Ok will do

Advertisements

Balkhand

Balkhand

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Ok. I did both of those things. I uninstalled the windows update, and ran malwarebytes. Still hanging on "Starting windows."

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

OK, thanks for the update, I will leave it up to Ztruker now to give you more instructions. 

Balkhand

Balkhand

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Ok. Thanks Iammykyl

Balkhand

Balkhand

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

So I'm just messing around with things trying to close in on what may have been wrong. I ran the windows update troubleshooter. I got these results.

-Windows Update error 0x800700...-Not fixed

-Service registration missing or corrupt-Fixed

-Problems installing recent updates-fixed

-Problems installing recent updates-fixed

Not sure if this has anything to do with anything. Gonna try restarting now.

Balkhand

Balkhand

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Update: Nothing has really changed. Still having the same issue.