Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Viewing size of folders with XP

• Please log in to reply

batpark

batpark

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

On my desktop pc with XP, if I click Start\MyComputer\Local disk © I see a listing of files (with the size of each displayed) and folders (without the size of each displayed).

Is there a simple way I can see the <size> of each of the folders ... without viewing that folder and then manually adding up all its constituent files?

Thank you.

Advertisements

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Hi batpark :)

If you right-click on the folder and select Properties, the size of that folder will be displayed in the middle. Depending of the folder size and your computer specs, it can take a minute or two to calculate so you'll see the number raise :)

batpark

batpark

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Aura: Many thanks.

Perhaps you (or others) can help on this related question?

As my C:drive is running out of free space and as my aux E:drive has tons of free space I want to copy my C:\Documents and Settings folder (12.7 GB) to a new folder E:\ Documents and Settings and then delete everything in C:\Documents and Settings. Can you confirm that this is a SAFE thing to do (that I am not missing something important and potentially disastrous)?

After I then empty my Recycle Bin, I assume I will have  freed up some 12+ GB on the C:-drive. Am I thinking correctly?

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
No problem :) What's the total size of your C: drive? I think it would be safer to only create a new E:\Documents and Settings\$USERNAME\My Documents folder, then redirect the C:\Documents and Settings\$USERNAME\My Documents to the one on the E: drive. This way, if programs needs to create files or folders in My Documents, they'll be created there but redirected in the folder on the E: drive. I can also help you clean up some space on your drive if you need it.

batpark

batpark

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Aura: I am so glad someone is watching what I am doing! Thanks for your suggestions here.

My C: drive is 35 GB but has only 1 GB free. My aux E:drive is ~500GB and is mostly free.

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
No problem :) Here's how you can do it:

http://www.techrepub...-in-windows-xp/

If you don't understand, I can write down the instructions for you in more simple terms. In the "Target" box, you'll enter the location of the new "My Documents" folder on your E: drive. You can try cleaning up temporary files and folder on your C: drive using TFC to start.

3DPGbxe.pngTemp File Cleaner (TFC)
  • Download and execute Temp File Cleaner (TFC);
  • Simply click on Start to launch the clean-up and wait until it completes;
    s5yB2E8.png
  • Depending on which processes are running, all your programs will be closed and explorer.exe (your Windows shell) will be killed, it will however be relaunched shortly after so do not panic;
  • There's no log to give for this tool;

batpark

batpark

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Aura:  (Sent before I read your latest post)

I am puzzled about the Recycle Bin.

1. When my C:drive showed 828MB free I checked my recycle Bin and confirmed that I had reserved 643MB for it.

2. I then reduced that reserved space to 346MB (about 300MB less). But when I checked the C:drive the free space was still only 828MB. Why didn’t I pickup those 300MB?

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Reserved space only affects the Recycle Bin folder, it won't reduce the size of the overall partition. The C: drive space you see is the space that was allocated by Windows for that drive via the Disk Management. It can only be reduced/enlarged from there. Right now, you reduced the reserved space of the Recycle Bin to 346Mb, which means that if it gets filled over that, the data that is supposed to go in it will be deleted from the disk.

Edited by Aura, 26 January 2015 - 11:07 AM.

batpark

batpark

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Aura: First let me say how much I appreciate your help.  Thank you, thank you.

1. I followed your advice on using TFC and immediately picked up 340MB.

2. Re the Recycle Bin, if I reduce the reserved space for the Bin by 300MB should not I immediately pick up that 300MB in Free Space?

... Batpark

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
"Reserved Space" like explained above is the space you allocate to the Recycle Bin. Which means that if you allocate it 300MB and you delete data that would go in the Recycle Bin and go over that 300MB limit, then that data will be immediately deleted without passing by the Recycle Bin. This doesn't means that you have 300MB of data in your Recycle Bin. Reserve Space isn't equal to "current occupied space". If you Recycle Bin was currently holding 600MB of data, and then you reduced it's Reserved Space to 300MB then yes, 300MB of data would be deleted to match the new Reserve Space value. But if your Recycle Bin is currently empty (and I'm sure it is after running TFC), then you won't gain any additional space since there's nothing to delete in it.

Advertisements

batpark

batpark

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Aura:

1. Thanks for the clarification on the Recycle Bin.

2.  Re my attempt to free up space on my C:drive by moving all (or part) of the folder C:\Documents and Settings to a newly created Folder on my aux memory E:drive.

May I walk through what I intend to do and see if you see any problems? I really want more free space but I don’t want to do something stupid.

Right now my C: drive (total size 33.8GB) has 1.85 GB free.

The Documents and Settings Folder is 12.5GB with 33,054 files and 3,092 folders.

It has  4 subfolders:

AKS ..... 8.95 GB

SS.....     36.3 MB

All Users ... 2.46GB

Administrator ... 13.2 MB

And, for reasons I don’t understand, the Properties display shows that all four of these Folders has a check mark ON Attributes\Read-Only –even though I routinely edit those files.

I am thinking of copying the 2.46 GB in the All Users folder to the E: drive, then delete it from the C: drive and thus pick up 2.46 GB of free space in the C: drive.

If I do that will I still be able to use my PC, much as I do now? FWIW, the All Users folder shows subfolders named Desktop, Favorites, Start Menu, Chatlink, Dear Kurt, and NTUSER. Will any of these fail to work if I make that move?

Can you tell me (again) what I should name this new folder on the E: drive? If it affects the naming, FWIW, my name is Sid?

Thank you again.   ....batpark

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
You don't delete the folder, you only create a new folder on the E: drive with it's name, then change the target location of the main folder to the new one. Let's say you want to move the content of My Documents for the AKS user. It's My Documents folder is located in C:\Documents and Settings\AKS\My Documents, right? Then create folders on the E: drive so it gives E:\Documents and Settings\AKS\My Documents. Once done, right-click on the C:\Documents and Settings\AKS\My Documents document, and under Target location, change the path to E:\Documents and Settings\AKS\My Documents and accept to move the files there when it asks you it.

batpark

batpark

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Aura: I follow you up to where you refer to "under Target location, change the path". in last sentence.

When I right click C:\DocumentsandSettings\AKS\MyDocuments I do not see "Target location". Rather I get this screenshot.

What am I doing wrong?

Attached Thumbnails

• screenshot127.jpg

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
You have to right-click on the folder and select Properties. The first thing you should see in that window is the target location.

batpark

batpark

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Aura: Here is what I see when I right click My Documents and click Properties. I don't see any "Target." ????ss my documents.jpg