Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

problems using VGA and DVI

• Please log in to reply

fredysarabia

fredysarabia

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I recently decided to move my computer from one room to another and all I did was disconnect everything and then connect it all back together.

this is the problem, as soon as I start my computer all seems to work well, but I got no image on my monitor, and the monitor would say NO SIGNAL, then it would immediatly go to sleep mode. I tried different cables, VGA and DVI with no good results I also tried connecting my monitor to my laptop and the monitor works perfectly, I started to feel it was my pc, then I decided to connect a different monitor with an HDMI port to my pc and it works perfectly, but as soon  as I try to connect it with the VGA or DVI cables there is NO SIGNAL, this picture shows the ports..

and here is a close up of the VGA and DVI: http://i.imgur.com/Ovyxix4.jpg

Advertisements

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Hi fredysarabia,

:welcome:

Looks to me that when using the DVI and VGA you are picturing these are on a integrated video card on your PC's motherboard, but when using the HDMI it is on a Slot PCI Video Card. Now this will make a difference to which one is setup correctly on systems BIOS and with Video card drivers being installed properly. I see DVI connectors on the PCI Slot card on back PC, how do they work on this monitor ? What type on connection was used on Laptop when you hooked to it and it worked ? Eliminate possibility of bad connectors on either end, monitor or PC, since used different cables. I believe might have something to do with you using integrated card then the slot card, then also settings for them in system. Integrated card should disable when using a PCI slot card, sometimes may need change this in BIOS. Good question would be, what did you use before you moved the PC, integrated or the slot card ? For one HDMI is best quality choice then comes DVI and then VGA

Edited by jds63, 26 January 2015 - 03:01 PM.

fredysarabia

fredysarabia

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

hey Thank you for the advise, that was the problem, my video card outputs has priority over the onboard outputs, so I'll just have to use those, have a great day!

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

hey Thank you for the advise, that was the problem, my video card outputs has priority over the onboard outputs, so I'll just have to use those, have a great day!

Of course, you correct, that is what i was explaining to you in my last post, you showing DVI,VGA on onboard, HDMI on PCI Card. If have a discrete Video card it will overide the onboard card, always this way, can't run 2 unless there SLI configured in 2 PCI slots. Not sure how it was connected before you moved it, seems confusing how you had this wrong, unless just added Discrete card :upset:

Your welcome, glad it is fixed for you.