Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Voldamort type virus. Wizard 101 hyjacking my browser [Closed]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Alipop

Alipop

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Please help, i'm at my wits end :( I have at least 1 virus that I know of and it hyjacks all my webpages and its called Wizard 101. I keep opening a webpage or go to watch something online and then this wizard 101 pops up about 2 minutes into me being on that web page.  

I have Norton which I have just paid to have renewed and I picked the most expensive package and I have run the power eraser and a full system scan and it found nothing.  I found a website that gave instructions on how to manually erase it ie go into task manager and add ons and in your control centre and it says to remove all wizard associated stuff but nothing looked wizardy.  I tried anyway and then worried I'd messed it all up so I did a full factory reset and guess what!  The wizard was STILL there, like voldamort it is REALLY hard to get rid of

I read that spyhunter was good for the wizard removal and there was a button to try the free version so I down loaded it and ran it all night and now it has found threats but wants me to pay 30 bucks to get rid of them but I a) am 3 dollars short on my card to pay for it (pay day tomorrow).

Has anyone else heard of the wizard 101 :(  I have found out its a game but this is changing web pages I am on without my permission. My computer has also started to do weird things like my curser is moving around as I type this and I have to keep finding it or just then the whole screen went to the blue windows 8 settings screen but I hadn't touched anything.

I feel like crying.  Can anyone help me :(

Edited by Alipop, 26 January 2015 - 04:59 PM.

Advertisements

Nevan

Nevan

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,765 posts
Hello, Alipop. Welcome to Geeks to Go! My nickname is Nevan and I will be helping you getting your system back on its electronic feet.

Before we get started, please keep these things in mind:
  • Always read every part of my post carefully. If you don't, you may do something wrong and there could be more problems to solve.
  • If your security programs give you any warnings when using tools I asked you to, don't be afraid. Every tool I provide to you is 100% safe.
  • Only run tools that I ask you to. Some of them can be dangerous to your system as they have much power.
  • You should save or print my instructions. It is possible that we will be using Safe mode, which will cut you off from your internet connection and without access to them, you might be stuck.
  • Malware removal is a complicated process that takes multiple steps to be completed. Don't give up, be patient.
  • The tools we are going to use and your software may cause unwanted interactions. Because of that, I recommend you to make backups of any important files from your machine before proceeding as they might be lost.
  • I recommend you to stay with me until I tell you that we are done. It is important because when your system does not show any bad symptoms anymore it does not mean that it is 100% clean.
  • Your time to reply is limited. If you don't reply within 3 days, your topic will be closed and you will have to request it to be reopened by contacting one of Moderator group members with the link to this topic.
  • Every program I ask you to download should be saved to and run from desktop. If you don't know how to choose the direction of where a download is saved, check this site. You can also just copy these programs to your desktop manually and then run them from there.
  • Remember that the fixes I give you are only for your machine. Using it on other systems may (and probably will) cause problems.
  • Finally, if you have any questions or are unsure about something, just ask. I will not blame you for it. It is better to ask rather than regret it later.
Also, please note that I'm currently in training, so my answers to you will have to be checked first by an experienced helper before I can post them. This can lengthen the time between my answers to you, but in return you will have an extra person reviewing your log.

Let's get started :)

First of, forget about SpyHunter. It doesn't have a good reputation. As you've said - it claims to be free and then wants you to pay money for the removal.

First, I'd like to have a look at your system. Please, do the following step.

FRST Scan

Download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your Desktop. There are two different versions:
  • Click here to download the 32-bit version.
  • Click here to download the 64-bit version.
If you don't know which version you should use, download one of them and check if it's working or not. If it doesn't, download the second one. Once you have the right one, perform the instructions below.
  • Right click FRST.exe (or FRST64.exe) and click Run as administrator. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Make sure that Addition.txt is checked and press the Scan button.
  • It will produce two logs - one called FRST.txt and another one called Addition.txt in the same directory the tool is run from.
  • Select all (CTRL+A) the content of the logs, copy them (CTRL+C) and paste (CTRL+V) them into your next reply.

Things that should appear in your next post:
  • FRST.txt log content
  • Addition.txt log content

Alipop

Alipop

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

NEVAN Thanks so much for replying to my post.  I am just going to the shops and I'll be back and i'll have a look and try and follow your instructions if you are still around.  Thanks

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.