Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unbootable: Grub Rescue & Windows 7

Windows 7l grub linux ubuntu boot

• Please log in to reply

Korimon

Korimon

• Pip
  • 7 posts

I was playing CSGO when my system crashed. When I tried to restart, the "Windows Starting" logo sat there. Eventually, I got tired of restarting the computer just to get a standing screen. So I used the Windows repair, which, of course, did not have any system recovery points.

I tried booting into safe mode, but it stopped at "Class..."sys (I forgot). So I have no idea what happened, but after retrying safe mode for a while, the F8 key didn't work anymore. Assuming this was a registry error of some sort, I used multiple bootable AV and corrupt registry scanners, but each time they didn't show anything. I tried the one suggested on the forums, but it just deleted 2 adware programs.

Also, last year, I partitioned the drive for Ubuntu. Automatically installed Grub loader, so I go through that before I reach windows. Only now, I have this error:

error: unknown filesystem.

grub rescue>

I honestly don't remember how to fix this problem. And it seems to be grub, linux, and windows problem. Help appreciated, thanks.

Btw: I screwed up the Ubuntu graphics driver a while back, so if I need to use Ubuntu again. There's that problem.

Edited by Korimon, 27 January 2015 - 08:28 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts

:welcome:   Korimon,

First of all apologies that you have waited longer than we would like before receiving a reply  :(

To the issue at hand;

I honestly don't remember how to fix this problem. And it seems to be grub, linux, and windows problem. Help appreciated, thanks.

Btw: I screwed up the Ubuntu graphics driver a while back, so if I need to use Ubuntu again. There's that problem

As a starting point we need some information about your computer - see canned text below;

Please note that the issue may be hardware and not software related however may I suggest that we consider Windows 7 as the primary OS while troubleshooting  :thumbsup:

Please provide information about your computer, this includes is it a notebook or desktop, is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP, if it is a brand name provide the model name or series number (not serial) if a custom build post the brand and model name or number for the MB, Ram (including the amount) add on video card if one is used and the PSU (power supply unit) providing these details will enable us to better assist you.

Korimon

Korimon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

:welcome:   Korimon,

First of all apologies that you have waited longer than we would like before receiving a reply  :(

To the issue at hand;

Btw: I screwed up the Ubuntu graphics driver a while back, so if I need to use Ubuntu again. There's that problem

As a starting point we need some information about your computer - see canned text below;

Please note that the issue may be hardware and not software related however may I suggest that we consider Windows 7 as the primary OS while troubleshooting  :thumbsup:

Please provide information about your computer, this includes is it a notebook or desktop, is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP, if it is a brand name provide the model name or series number (not serial) if a custom build post the brand and model name or number for the MB, Ram (including the amount) add on video card if one is used and the PSU (power supply unit) providing these details will enable us to better assist you.

No problem and thanks for replying.

We can do Windows 7. (I think the Hard Drive might have a problem)

Laptop:

Acer Aspire 5560-Sb613

AMD A8-3500M

Radeon HD 6620G

4 GB DDR3

500 GB HDD
LiteOn Battery

Edited by Korimon, 08 February 2015 - 10:20 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts

Thanks for the update Korimon  :thumbsup:

If you suspect that the HDD has problems and you have not yet done so please back up all important data on the drive then test the HDD, see below;

Run the HDDs diagnostics tool;
Make sure you select the tool that is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive but if unsure of the brand Seatools works well with most of them http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287
Depending on the program it'll create a bootable floppy or a bootable DVD/CD.
If the downloaded file is the .iso type use ImgBurn to burn the .iso file to a DVD/CD disk depending on your OS (select "Write image file to disc" option) and make the disk bootable.

RE ImgBurn: please use the custom install and uncheck the attached foistware such as "Install Entrusted Toolbar etc

Next, take an expanded screenshot of Disk Manager and attach it to your next reply for us;

1. Click on the Start button and then choose Control Panel.
2. Click on the System and Security link.
Note: If you're viewing the Large icons or Small iconsview of Control Panel, you won't see this link so just click on the Administrative Tools icon and skip to Step 4.
3. In the System and Security window, click on the Administrative Tools heading located near the bottom of the window.
4. In the Administrative Tools window, double-click on the Computer Management icon.
5. When Computer Management opens, click on Disk Management on the left side of the window, located under Storage.
After a brief loading period, Disk Management should now appear on the right side of the Computer Management window.
Note: If you don't see Disk Management listed, you may need to click on the |> icon to the left of the Storage icon.

To capture and post a screenshot;
Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts

Not heard back from you Korimon, do you still require assistance or is the issue resolved, please update or conclude your thread and not leave it hanging.

Korimon

Korimon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Not heard back from you Korimon, do you still require assistance or is the issue resolved, please update or conclude your thread and not leave it hanging.

I apologize for not getting back yesterday. Really busy month.

But, yes, I still need assistance.

I have been trying to write the ISO files to my USB (as a first partition), because the laptop I am working from doesn't have an optical drive, so no CD :(

I haven't had much success. Is there a way to do it?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts

No problem been very busy myself  :(

Seatools on USB device guide here

Can you also post the requested expanded screenshot for us;

Next, take an expanded screenshot of Disk Manager and attach it to your next reply for us;

1. Click on the Start button and then choose Control Panel.
2. Click on the System and Security link.
Note: If you're viewing the Large icons or Small iconsview of Control Panel, you won't see this link so just click on the Administrative Tools icon and skip to Step 4.
3. In the System and Security window, click on the Administrative Tools heading located near the bottom of the window.
4. In the Administrative Tools window, double-click on the Computer Management icon.
5. When Computer Management opens, click on Disk Management on the left side of the window, located under Storage.
After a brief loading period, Disk Management should now appear on the right side of the Computer Management window.
Note: If you don't see Disk Management listed, you may need to click on the |> icon to the left of the Storage icon.

To capture and post a screenshot;
Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

Korimon

Korimon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Thanks, the files are now written.

Attached Thumbnails

• SS1.jpg

Edited by Korimon, 18 February 2015 - 12:48 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts
Thanks, the files are now written.

You are welcome but may I ask do you mean the Seatools for Dos, if yes have you run any tests yet.

Nothing drastic shown in Disk Manager but I will mention that there are two recovery partitions showing, this can be confusing when you need to use the correct one.

Korimon

Korimon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

I booted the USB drive, and the SeaTools showed up. (G: Drive, that USB Recovery Partition).

However, it said "No hard drives found". It seems that after I click "Exit", there must be some C:/ drive, but SeaTools probably doesn't recognize it.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts

See if parts two and three here help

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts

Have you made any progress with this Korimon, an update or conclusion of the thread would be appreciated.

Korimon

Korimon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

I'm sorry for not replying in a week. However, I've made up my mind to delay this problem til next time. It's not your problem, but that I have bought a newer one, and the only thing worth saving is probably the hard drive. When I have more time, I will come back. Thanks for being so patient and understanding.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts

No problem and thanks for the update.