Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

missing or corrupt ntoskrnl.exe

re-install windows xp pro x64

• Please log in to reply

Denisejm

Denisejm

• PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Hi . . .

I was having a problem with malware and ie8 x64 and x32.  I opened a topic here, the topic name being searchassist.net.  I wound up trying to repair windows but that didn't fix the problem so I re-installed windows.  now, I get the message that ntoskrnl.exe is missing or corrupt and asks me to install it.  (I'm on a notebook right now and the keyboard doesn't have a sideways carrot so I'm using @ as it's replacement right here. 

I tried c:windows@cd system32

and at the next prompt I typed c:windows\system32@map and found that my cd drive is drive p. 

I then typed c:windows\ system32@expandp:\i386\ntoskrnl.ex_.  it told me that the path is invalid.  I think the i386 part of the path is what's wrong because I'm using XP pro x64 but I don't know what I should use.  I installed my RAID drivers too. I don't know what else to do.  can someone help?

Edited by Denisejm, 27 January 2015 - 10:09 AM.

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

If this is a reinstall and it failed you may have a bad hard drive or bad RAM.  Might be simpler to just try the reinstall again.

Hopefully you are not really typing the ">" - just the stuff to the right of it.

You need a space between expand and p and you might want to include the destination c:\Windows\System32 just to make sure.

expand  p:\i386\ntoskrnl.ex_   c:\Windows\System32

if you are not sure the file is there then :

expand  -d  p:\i386

or maybe

expand  -d  p:\i386  f:*

I don't have Win 8 so just going by what technet says.

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

I have windows XP pro x64.  I found instructions for vista and windows 7 but none for XP pro x64.

I'm not typing a right carrot on my desktop (which is the pc with the problem), just while here on my notepad.  the right carrot is a symbol that windows inserts but I wanted to show the entire path that was used.

I can't use d:\ because my cd drive is p:\ .  I'm trying to direct dos to look on the cd for the file.

P:\windows\i386\ntoskrnl.ex_ is where it can't go and I think it's the i386 is wrong in the path because of it being XP pro x64.  XP x64 doesn't have i386 but I don't know what it does have.i

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

type (with an enter after each line):

p:
dir \

(This will give you a list of files in the root directory so you can look if there is an i386 folder)

cd \

(just ensures you start at the root-  prompt should be:  p: \ > - I add spaces to make sure the forum software doesn't turn them into smiley faces.)

dir  /s  ntoskrnl.*

Should tell you where it is.

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

It listed the directories in drive p:\

0 AMD

110 autorun.nf

0 i386 (which surprised me)

17470 installation.info

20402 read1st.htm

61610 relnotes.htm

1320448 setup.exe

0 support

10 win51

10 win51ap

10 win51ap.sp2

P:\Dir s setup.exe or .* didn't work

Btw, I found > 

I tried to install on another hdd but I ran into the same problem.

Edited by Denisejm, 27 January 2015 - 04:41 PM.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

Did it really say autofun.nf??

Normally that would be autorun.inf

P:\Dir s setup.exe or .* didn't work

You have to have the forward slash in front of the s and you don't need the P: unless that is the P:> prompt.

thought you were looking for ntoskrnl.* and not setup

Sounds like the CD is scratched if it won't install correctly.  To see what is in the i386 folder:

dir  \i386

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

dir \i386 has a lot of files but ntoskrnl.exe isn't one f them.

P:\ is my cd drive.

After typing dir /s ntoskrnl.* it says "the parameter is not valid.  Try /?for help.

I typed/? and it says "For more information on a specific command, type command-name /? or HELP command-name."

I'm great with hardware but terrible at DOS commands and programs so I have no idea what to do.  I want to avoid the cost of a pc repair shop fee if I can.  Not many people know XP pro x64 but I love it and i'll keep as long as I can. 

Ok, I made a copy of my XP disk a long time ago so i'll try to install windows using it.

I'm trying to get Windows installed but I get the error message that it needs ntoskrnl.exe.  After the format, it installs Windows and I install the SATA drivers but It won't continue to my desktop without the ntoskrnl.exe file.  It should be on the disk because I installed Windows using the disk and formatted and reinstalled Windows a couple of times in the past 8 or so years sand this problem never came up before.

Autofun . . .  this is just the opposite *snarf*. This notepad is 5" wide and the text font is about a 9 pitch.  Everything is very tiny.  I just got it for Christmas. It's exactly what I wanted but I didn't think that i'd be doing this on it. 

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

When it says:

Try /?for help.

What you need to do is:

dir  /?

Then it should tell you what commands it accepts.  There may be fewer options in your mode.  The /s option normally causes it to search through the subfolders for the file.  Do you see any files in i386 that end in .cab?

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Somewhere along the line I lost my disk #2 of the copy I made of windows, but I decided to do another install using the original disk.  This time, it passed copying files all the way to installing windows.  Then it lost my keyboard and mouse, they don't work now so I can't finish the install.  It's asking me is I want to continue installing my RAID drivers and I can't click "yes." I also tried alt+y but that didn't work either.  Any ideas?

Edit: I don't have another mouse or keyboard.  I live on the east coast of the U.S. and we just got a blizzard yesterday, 22" of snow so I won't be able to get to a store until tomorrow or the next day.

Edited by Denisejm, 28 January 2015 - 07:23 AM.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

Is the keyboard a USB or wireless type?  Does your PC have the round plug for a Keyboard?  That might be what it is looking for.  When XP was designed that was all they had.  You may have to look in a thrift shop or in a neighbor's basement or attic.

Do you have any drivers for the keyboard/mouse.  Perhaps you can load them first before the RAID if you try another reinstall.

Advertisements

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

My keyboard is USB and my mouse is wireless, both Logitech brand. 

I have a floppy disk for keyboard, get this . . . for "Windows 95/98/2000/ME/XP". . . hehe, (I don't throw much away) but when I inserted it during setup, it said that there is no setup.txt file on it so I just proceeded with the installation of Windows. My current keyboard was just plug and play and so was my mouse, with no installation disks.

At this point, it looks like I'll have to find a USB mouse somewhere unless you have any other suggestions.

Do you think a USB mouse will be recognized at this point in the installation when I plug it in or will I need to start at the beginning of copying files of Windows again?

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

wireless mouse is definitely not going to work during install.  Not sure that USB will do any better since you say the keyboard is not working either.  You might look in the BIOS setup and see if there is an option for USB keyboard/mouse.  If the PC has round plugs for keyboard and mouse that is what it will normally be looking for.  Ask your neighbors, one of them is bound to have an old PC in the attic or garage or basement.

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

I found a USB mouse in one of my bins of pc hardware, connected it, and pressed the reset button.  When it rebooted, the Windows installation picked up where it left off.  When it was finished installing Windows, it rebooted again but it didn't boot to Windows.  I rebooted again and went into BIOS, changed the boot order to the hdd, loaded Optimized BIOS, saved BIOS to CMOS, and saved and exited BIOS.  When it rebooted, it gives one short beep followed by one long beep about 10 seconds later and continuously resets.  I was going to go into BIOS again to set Floppy to first in boot order so I could install my motherboard and monitor drivers but I can't get into BIOS again. The motherboard splash screen doesn't show any longer.  I checked my motherboard manual. It lists what all the beeps mean. One short beep means "System boots successfully" but it doesn't say what one long beep means, there's no listing for it.

The motherboard has a CMOS reset button.  I'm going to open the case and try clearing CMOS to see if that helps.

Edit: I just tried, before I opened the case to clear CMOS, if I could start the pc and get into BIOS and it worked. I chose "Load failsafe defaults" and again chose "Load CMOS from BIOS," saved and exited BIOS.  When it rebooted, I again got the one long beep. I can hear it booting and I think I'm at my desktop but nothing is showing on my monitor. I don't remember if it needs monitor drivers.  I don't have a disk with drivers for it and like I said, I save everything. I don't know where to go from here?  Any thoughts?

Edited by Denisejm, 28 January 2015 - 02:10 PM.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP
Do you see the makers logo? They going into safe mode when you see the logo. Hit f8 several times.

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

No monitor logo, only the motherboard logo.

This install has been strange from the beginning. First Windows wouldn't Repair, then it wouldn't install.  I tried at least 5 times before I came here. Then it installed with no problems. Then I went into BIOS and changed settings according to the motherboard manual.  Then, when it wouldn't boot to Windows, I tried to get back into BIOS 5 or 6 times and I couldn't and then the last time I tried, the splash screen opened and I was able to get back into BIOS.  It seems like hit or miss, like something's wrong with a piece of hardware and sometimes it's working and sometimes it isn't.