Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet goes down when Samsung Smart TV is switched on

• Please log in to reply

gunnercar

gunnercar

• Pip
  • 1 posts

I have a Samsung Smart TV and an Orange Livebox router  which are not connected to each other in any way our telephone runs through the internet I also have a Sky +HD box obviously connected to the TV. Everything has been fine for 2 years but recently we found the internet and phone line kept crashing we soon realised that this only happened when the TV was switched on as soon as the TV was off the phone and internet works perfect it also works fine if the Sky box is on (green light) We have had the phone line checked and there is no problem we have disconnected everything and put it back together we have tried a different TV and that works fine too so it has to be the Samsung Smart TV ANY help would be greatly appreciated as this is making our life a misery having to turn the TV off to use the phone and or internet never mind not being able to receive calls when the TV is on Not sure if this is in the correct category as am new to this Many thanks

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

Your Smart TV has a wireless option to connect to a network so I can see two ways how it might cause a problem.

One.  It actually connects to your wireless router and starts trying to stream a movie.  This takes a lot of bandwidth and if you have a fairly lowspeed connection it could cause other applications to do without.  In that case they could still connect to the router but would have a hard time connecting to the Internet.

Two.  The wireless transmitter on the TV has gone insane and is overloading the router with garbage.  In this case any other wireless connections would drop and the device should complain 

1Using your remote control press the Menu button.
2Then scroll down the Menu list to select Network.
3Scroll down to Network Settings, and press ENTER.
4With Network type highlighted, press ENTER.

If there is an option for None select that otherwise select Wired.

If that doesn't help then tell me what operating system you use on your computer and we can try and look at the router to see what it says about what is happening.

enidgh

enidgh

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Your Smart TV has a wireless option to connect to a network so I can see two ways how it might cause a problem.

One.  It actually connects to your wireless router and starts trying to stream a movie.  This takes a lot of bandwidth and if you have a fairly lowspeed connection it could cause other applications to do without.  In that case they could still connect to the router but would have a hard time connecting to the Internet.

Two.  The wireless transmitter on the TV has gone insane and is overloading the router with garbage.  In this case any other wireless connections would drop and the device should complain 

1Using your remote control press the Menu button.
2Then scroll down the Menu list to select Network.
3Scroll down to Network Settings, and press ENTER.
4With Network type highlighted, press ENTER.

If there is an option for None select that otherwise select Wired.

If that doesn't help then tell me what operating system you use on your computer and we can try and look at the router to see what it says about what is happening.  I have a similar problem.  My internet is fine, but my Samsung Smart TV doesn't recognize the connection.  It did a couple of months ago, but now it doesn't.  I spent appx 5 hrs on the phone today between Belkin, Comcast and Samsung, and none of them could help me.