Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

what went wrong?

• Please log in to reply

andydf

andydf

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 1,660 posts
Hi all
This is my first post so please be patient. I am using a live cd to write this as my pc wont connect,
My pc started working really slow, so i run adaware and microsoft's antispyware remover which did removed quite a few things, then went to trend mirco and did an online scan which removed two viruses (can't remember the names). then used registry fix which seemed to 'fix' quite a lot of stuff. after all this I can no longer connect to the internet, my printer is not recognised, tried to install sygate but get a windows installer error, tried to uninstall and reinstall modem drivers but can't do that either, certain apps (control panel) look different. Also get registry errors even after using registry fix.
please can anybody help, I think my only option is to do a windows repair or reinstall.
any help would be great.
Thanks
Andy
PS i can still boot into widows ok.

Advertisements

kool808

kool808

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts
Hello and welcome to Geeks to Go! :tazz: I'm kool808.

Please download and run THIS.

Then read HERE

andydf

andydf

Visiting Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Visiting Consultant
  • 1,660 posts
thanks for the quick reply, I will try and do as you say and post back later. :tazz:

mohsin

mohsin

• PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
so solved :tazz:

andydf

andydf

Visiting Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Visiting Consultant
  • 1,660 posts
Ok ran the scans apart from the ewido program, still no joy with the internet connection. found out that alot of services had been turned off, eventually did a repair install, guess what, everything fine except internet, reinstalled modem drivers all went well but still no connection, got a error code 711 phoned BT tech support who said phone microsoft or format and reinstall. I'm reluctant to format at this time and would like to try and fix this. anyone got any ideas about the 711 error code.
Thanks

kool808

kool808

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts
Did you download and run the WinSockXPFix for Win XP?

A malicious .DLL file is disrupting the LSP chain on your computer. We need to get rid of it.

1. Please download LSPFix from here.
2. Run the LSPFix.exe that you have just finished downloading.
3. Check the I know what I'm doing box.
4. In the Keep box you should see one or more instances of XXXXX.dll.
5. Select every instance of XXXXX.dll and move each one to the Remove box by clicking the >> button.
6. When you are done click Finish>>.

kool808

kool808

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts
These are legitimate files and should be left alone, should NOT be removed

mswsock.dll
winrnr.dll
rsvpsp.dll

kool808

kool808

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts
If you are having any trouble on which file to remove, please post a list of the files you can see on the left side and right side of LSPFix.

You can read HERE, for referrence.

andydf

andydf

Visiting Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Visiting Consultant
  • 1,660 posts
Thanks again for your advice, I did run the winsock fix but still no joy at the time. Looked up the error code at microsoft who supply a workaround, decided to load sp2 and then go through the workaround. I did this before I had read your suggestions, but they seemed to work and I'm now back online with my xp setup. downloaded AVG and all windows updates going to install sygate firewall instead of the windows one.
Only problem seems to be istbar which adaware picks up seems to remove it, then run adaware again and it's still there, I will search the site for removal info as i'm sure there will be some.
Thanks
Andy

kool808

kool808

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts
whoa! for the ISTbar, just boot to Safe Mode then go to settings > control panel > add/remove programs > then uninstall ISTbar, Toolbar, Wintools > reboot again to safe mode, through windows explorer delete the folders C:\Program Files\ISTbar.

Read HERE, then post HERE.