Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Creating Several LANs with Multiple User Privileges

• Please log in to reply

kwumbe7mtumba

kwumbe7mtumba

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Hi guys,

I'm interested in setting up a local area network for my business. It's a small business and we have about 10 people each on their own computer as well as a separate computer (a tower with about 1TB of memory) that is used to store all the important documents (HR, Finance, Research, Client Related etc).

Now what I'd like to do is convert this separate computer into a server, which everyone can access (simply through a folder on Windows 7). They should be able to access the Research and Client Related documents but not the HR and Finance documents (which can only be accessed by the finance and HR managers and myself).

We thought of a concept that we aren't sure will apply in practice. Creating one LAN for the employees to access their data (Research and Client Related ONLY) and another LAN network for the F&HR managers and myself  to access all of the data on the server.

Is this possible? Currently we all use Windows 7 while the separate computer runs Windows Vista. Will we have to purchase Windows Server 2012 or something similar?

Your comments will be extremely helpful! Thank you very much.

Advertisements

Fusionbomb

Fusionbomb

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts

If I didn't know any better, I would suggest this could easily be solved by taking advantage of the Libraries feature in Vista/7 and using NTFS permissions to allow users into certain folders/files.  If you want to learn about creating/using libraries, maybe check out this link:

http://windows.micro...-with-libraries

If you plan on your business booming and want scalability for lots of growth, then yeah... you may want to get Server 2012 up and running with Active Directory and creating OUs for each department. 

After re-reading your post, I still think my original suggestion is much easier and just as efficient/secure as your subnetting idea.

Good luck!