Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to change user account status

• Please log in to reply

Janis

Janis

• PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

There are two accounts on my WIN7 pc.  One is mine and and there is a guest.  I want to change the guest account as a secondary administrator account but can't find the correct menu to do this.  I can delete the account but not change its status/  What am I missing?  Thanks

Advertisements

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Hi Janis :)

The Guest account "status" cannot be changed to "Admin", since like its name states, it's a Guest account, meant to be used by someone who borrows your laptop or computer and will use an account with limited rights and previleges. If you want a second Admin account on your Windows, you'll have to create one and make it Admin. Here's how you can create a new user account and make it Admin under Windows 7.
  • Click on the Windows Start Menu and select Control Panel;
  • Click on User Accounts and Family Safety, followed by User Accounts;
  • From there, at the bottom of the options in the middle of the window, select Manage another account;
  • You'll have the option to Create a new account at the bottom of the new window, click it;
  • From there, simply enter the username of that account, and check the Administrator radio button to create it as an Admin;
And you're done. If you click on the icon of the new account, you have the option to Create a password, which I suggest you to do. Let me know how it goes.